iMac audio quality question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macmike47, May 2, 2011.

1. macmike47 macrumors regular

A very good morning/afternoon/evening (delete as appropriate),

I'm looking forward to the iMac refresh. Hoping to go for the smaller model, but can anyone tell me: In the current line-up, is the audio quality on the 21.5-incher any lower/ less powerful compared with the 27-inch iMac? The specs seem to be the same (2 x 17-watt), but does the bigger one resonate better or anything similar? Would love to hear from someone with first-hand experience. Cheers,

Mike

2. Ilari macrumors newbie

I think that if you're actually worried about the audio quality, you'd be best off with buying external speakers.

3. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Are you serious? He's asking a legitimate question (which unfortunately I don't have the answer to). Does that automatically mean that external speakers would better suit his/her needs?

4. Ilari macrumors newbie

Not automatically of course, but that's what I'd do since the iMac's internal speakers aren't all that great (though not horribly bad either).

5. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Agreed.

If you're serious about great audio from any Mac, you'll consider external speakers. I use Logitech Z-2300s. They aren't the best speakers you could get (Z-5500s would be quite good) but they are up there.

6. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

I'd describe the iMac 21.5" speakers as "good enough" - no need of external speakers for the occasional listen.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you're concerned about booming bass and good noise for games, then Logitech speakers are great. If you're going to be using skype and listening to system noises (like the trash can emptying) , then internal iMac speakers are great. If you're at all concerned about actual sound quality, then any differences between the 21" and the 27" models are the least of your concerns. I cannot imagine that there would be any distinguishable difference, however, if you're really serious about sound quality, you would be asking what DAC to use, then connecting to a quality amplifier, which would then feed decent speakers. If you're not really concerned about sound quality, and it does not sound like you actually are, I wouldn't worry about the differences and get some decent desktop speakers, like the B&W thingies.

8. Ilari macrumors newbie

I wouldn't listen to this guy, seems like a troll... :rolleyes:

Okay, seriously now. What people describe as good enough sound quality varies a lot from person to person. Some people don't care about sound quality at all and simply hearing the music is enough for them. For some people sound quality is a lot more important and listening to music with bad speakers/headphones is not enjoyable at all.

The only way to know whether the iMac speakers are good enough for you is to listen to them.

My opinion is that since you're already getting a >$1000 computer, why not spend even $50-80 to improve the sound quality? Even under $100 speakers make a big difference if you choose wisely.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, the question is absolutely banal. It's like saying that you're concerned about differences to your Toyota Corolla's performance if you change the OEM wheels from 15" to 16" and how much effect would it have on your acceleration. I am afraid that whilst the iMac is a good looking piece of kit with some nice hardware, the speakers are like a Toyota Corolla.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Agreed, although I would spend more on the speakers.

11. sth macrumors 6502a

Would still be interesting to know if there are differences between the speakers of the 21,5" and 27" models, no matter how good or bad they are in absolute terms.

12. macmike47 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the lively discussion! Just to clarify, I've used a 27" iMac in the past, and know sort of what to expect. I'm just wonder whether to expect the same from the smaller model. Currently living in a relatively small place, so amplifier and speakers aren't really an option, at least not on the desk.

I consider myself a semi-audiophile (music student) and won't be using the internal speakers to enjoy a Brahms symphony ;) but for low-key music listening/ podcasts/ a dancing meerkat on youtube, it should be plenty.

I guess not many people have both iMacs on their desk to do a side-by-side comparison. It's not that important anyway, just if there was a massive difference I'd pick the bigger one. Store's down now...... been a while since I bought a Mac :D

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You won't notice the difference.

14. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

+1. Inconsequential.

15. morpheuzlal macrumors newbie

I must tell you that i just bought the 21.5 inch Imac and the sound is amazingly good. If you compare it to any notebook speakers this will sound much more powerfull and with much more resolution. The basses arent perfect, but in the bottom line i`d say the sound experience is more than satisfactory to a portable speakers.

Oh , and by the way, i must tell you everything in a imac is way above the common materials used for computers. Even if its the hardware.

16. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh