iMac availability date

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chuckd83, Oct 22, 2012.

1. chuckd83 macrumors regular

Historically, is the iMac available the same day or day after the keynote?

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

Usually yes, but the 27" model could be available later due to some problems in the screen lamination.

3. chuckd83 thread starter macrumors regular

That was a choice question, not a yes/no.

4. vladfein macrumors regular

Is the screen going to be laminated?
    Only the 27" one?
    What problems are (were) there?
    Are they resolved yet?
    What do you know about this subject?

5. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

It's the same technology which is used in the rMBP 15'' and they'll do it for both the 21'' and 27''.
    Positives of a glossy screen but much less glare. It's just the screen size what makes it harder to produce.

6. edry.hilario, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

This late 27 inch iMac being late to lamination issue might be something you might not want to pay attention too much for the simple fact that its been a rumor badly mis espread. First kuo said that the iMac 21 inch was gonna be ready in sep and the 27 inch be ready on late October with the 27 inch iMac now if you noticed the event it's gonna be an iPad mini and the iMacs are coming out, which is what kuo originally said so why are people saying that the 27 inch maight be late ? Because kuo said that they would be late but. He also said it'd be with the iPad mini and this event will be the iPad mini event so there's no reason why to think them27 inch is gonna be delayed. Everyone is going by kuos prediction even the chinese site who leaked the image, but kuo said itd be ready in late october. also why wuld there be part numbers I know I'm going in circles but i really really don't think they 27 inch will be delayed , I mostly think the 27 inch iMac will be on the low side on stock so it might run up to 2 week for delivery really fast

7. bobright macrumors 601

I am still of belief that we wont see an iMac till 2013, how much you want to bet me?

8. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

True. I'm also thinking that now both iMacs are ready for a direct launch.
    They just had the 21'' ready and were waiting for the 27'' :)

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Line breaks are really
    helpful for comprehension -
    ya know what I mean?

----------

The night after the event, Apple store employees stay late after-hours and set up all the new products. You can buy them the same day online and in store the next day if supply is available - e.g. it looks like iPad Mini's won't be available until Nov 2, so you won't be buying them anywhere.

The 27" iMac, in particular, may or may not have an additional delay. The problem with Kuo's reports is that it's often difficult to tell the difference between an expected launch availability date and an expected manufacturing capacity date.

10. racher macrumors member

I think 27" will be released at the same time as the 21", and this is actually the reason both are delayed. It's likely that Apple had trouble with the lamentation process on the 27" and they waited until this was resolved to release that model as well as the 21". The reason is simple: Apple would never release a lower end model in any product line first, only to offer a higher end model shortly afterwards. If they did so, many consumers would simply choose the lower end model when it was released, when they could easily have been sold on the higher end model if it was available. And in that case, Apple would make less money than it could. Apple always wants you to buy the highest-end of any product they produce, so if either of the models come out first, it will be the 27". But most likely, since we've waited this long, it will be the 27" and the 21".

That's my logic, anyway. Feel free to counter with another opinion.

-racher

11. DestroVega macrumors member

There will definitely be iMacs tomorrow at the event so you'd be wasting your money.

12. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I'm certain it will be announced/released tomorrow. What I'm less certain of is that there will be any available for sale.. e.g. shipping dates may start in 2 weeks and 3rd party retailers may be waiting a while. It really depends on whether they waited until the whole launch capacity issue was resolved.

13. chuckd83 thread starter macrumors regular

So Wednesday we can buy them in store?

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Wednesday you could definitely buy a 21", and possibly also a 27", in store. If there's any delay beyond that they will tell us in the announcement.

15. DestroVega macrumors member

What if you want to up the RAM, gotta special order those online?

16. sukai macrumors regular

Ah tomorrow is the day it seems for teh most part, but a slight part of me feels funny thinking what if not o_o" Before i was like yeah definitely it will come and that was without much to back it up. Now even though it seems definite I have some doubt xD.

17. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I am expecting it to be similar to the rMBP launch, I ordered 24 hours after keynote and it took 3 weeks to get to me. I really hope they have stocked up on 27"ers.

18. vladfein macrumors regular

Another opinion (as plausible as yours):
    People would buy whatever is available in the store, even if it is less-desirable 21”.
    Then, when 27” becomes available – they would buy that too.
    In that case Apple makes twice the money :)

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

How mad is everyone going to be if they don't get a mention tomorrow like was the case during the RetinaMBP event?

20. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I couldn't care less if they talk about it during the event. My irritation level will grow if it isn't refreshed by press release shortly thereafter.

21. CoreyLahey macrumors regular

Are there any advantages with buying the imac at an apple store in comparison to bestbuy?

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

But that would mean that it isn't a redesign, so I would be gutted. 

23. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

I know I'm ashamed of my writing abilities. Seriously. But it doesn't help that the only machine to write I have is an iPad and and iPhone it's a pain to edit and type. Let's hope I won't have to be doing this for much longer. Then I hope my post will get Better thanks for the call. It makes me be more aware of things

24. element1108 macrumors member

With respect to your opinion, that is putting a lot of chips in the basket the buyer will buy multiple units. As a desktop, and Apple's outlook on it...I don't think that's the case. That said, I don't know if Apple makes more money on the 27 incher as it uses more expensive hardware. The profit margin for both units could be identical, the shift in price being more hardware related than profit margin.

Who knows, by this time tomorrow we will know a LOT more than we do right now.

25. CoreyLahey macrumors regular

Maybe you should look up the word "wont" before you make any bets.

----------

You should not be so grateful to a man who goes by the name of a plus-size bra, he might take advantage of that.

Edit: and I should maybe not tell people what they should or should not do. Unless it's Valmickey, Bobhope or 0j, they probably deserve the full force of my verbal nonsense.