iMac back from repair, dust and marks under glass

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ri0ku, Jun 4, 2014.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Hello guys, has anyone had to have an iMac collected in the UK for repair? I recently just had mine collected for an ODD fan replacement and got it delivered back yesterday. After setting it up and being on it right now, theres an absolutely insane amount of dust on the glass under between the LCD and the glass.

There is also a few water mark type markings on the glass behind as if something was tried to be cleaned off it.

Has anyone had any issues? It went to a company called Amsy's not sure what to do now so I am ringing Apple support.

2. Arron924 macrumors newbie

I had my iMac sent to Amsys for service and they left some dirty dark glue residue all over the machine, not acceptable.

Speak to AppleCare and report the incident they will sort you out, they issued me with a brand new machine which Im now waiting for.

:)

3. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

OWC sells a do-it-yourself SSD upgrade kit that includes a microfiber cloth and suction cups for separating the glass from the LCD. There is a link on that page for an installation video that shows how to separate glass from LCD (using the suction cups), and then towards the end of the video it shows how to use the microfiber cloth to wipe down both the LCD screen and the interior surface of the glass.

I very recently did the entire procedure shown in that video when installing SSDs in a couple of iMacs at work. I can tell you from experience that using the suction cups and the microfiber cloth, wiping down those surfaces is very easy and thoroughly doing that should easily take care of the dust issue. Not sure about the water marks though. Do they look like "newton rings" (as seen back in the days of drum scanning)? Maybe you could try using a paper towel (prior to wiping down with the microfiber cloth) to see if it picks up any residue or moisture that may be causing the water mark effect.

If you choose to clean it yourself you have the option of getting the kit from OWC, or there may be other options locally in the UK for buying the microfiber cloth and suction cups.