iMac Base Model question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zas, Oct 27, 2014.

1. zas macrumors member

I've been lurking around reading the threads regarding the GPU and the processor. I bought the base 5k imac and so far I love it.

I do have a question I am running and external asus display (1920 X 1080) and every time the computer comes back from sleep mode it flashes a couple of times. It seems like it is trying to adjust something.

Is this GPU related? Anyone else experiencing the same issue ?

Also, I've been reading regarding the 290x and how it is a laptop gpu (a very good laptop GPU though). My question is eventually I will buy another high quality display, with that being said should I go for the 295x? I mean will I need it? I do want to be future proof. I am learning programming and I do edit pictures here and there. ( I just fell in love with the screen and wanted it)

Thanks Guys.

2. 5iMacs macrumors regular

It's a good question...

I have the base model / 256GB SSD and it's been great moving in and starting to use it (mostly coding, document prep, research including reading lots of PDFs, and light photo/video editing)

I hadn't planned on using an external display but I do have one of those seiki 4k/30Hz monitors in the house so I could see if it causes problems.

Still, I've got my rMBP hooked up to that frequently and if it can manage it smoothly I don't think the M290X iMac will have any trouble.

3. 5iMacs macrumors regular

OK, I tried the 4k display on my 5k iMac with M290X and it was very smooth. There was no difference in manipulating windows, inertial scrolling in browsers, playing 4k video, etc. I downloaded 2 4k videos and played them both full screen at the same time, also smooth (I don't know if that's even supposed to be a problem). It's just the same as running without the external display.

BTW, when the computer comes out of sleep mode a lot of stuff is reinitialized, that happens with my rMBP and external display too and is not a defect.

4. zas thread starter macrumors member

Thank you kindly sir!!!! I appreciate it very much. :D