Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfbug

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2017
How do I add battery percentage beside the time on the top of the screen?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 4.24.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 4.24.01 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 188
  • battery.gif
    battery.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 106

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to add the keyboard battery level to the top menu items. However, you can add the language symbol (flag) to the top menu and by selecting it, you can then access the keyboard menu which will give you the battery percentage. That's how I have mine set up.

surfbug

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2017
Hi chsag,
how do I add the language symbol to the top menu?

surfbug

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2017
I added the flag on the menu but I don't see any battery icon anywhere?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 8.42.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 8.42.12 AM.png
    435 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 8.42.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 8.42.48 AM.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 72

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
you're not going to see a battery icon on a desktop as there's no installed batteries. if you are wanting an icon for bluetooth accessories then I suggest an app like istat menus.

Culweygh

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2016
How do I add battery percentage beside the time on the top of the screen?
if it's a Bluetooth keyboard, then in the bluetooth system preference set that to show bluetooth in the menu bar, then you get a bluetooth dropdown which, when you select the device in the dropdown, will show you the battery level.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
If you have a "smart" UPS, it has a signal line going to your iMac to provide status so that it can power down once the preset thresholds (battery charge state, length of running on battery, etc) are crossed. This assumes that the UPS can "talk" to the iMac either through a native driver or software provided by the UPS manufacturer. In this case, the iMac would also be able to display battery percentage.

Otherwise, as others have pointed out, there is no battery percentage to display.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I added the flag on the menu but I don't see any battery icon anywhere?

You need to click on the US flag, and then select "Open Keyboard Preferences". At the bottom of the dialog box which opens you will see keyboard battery percentage. Sort of an indirect way to show it, but I know of no other way to do it. I'm using the Apple Magic Keyboard rechargeable model.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
You need to click on the US flag, and then select "Open Keyboard Preferences". At the bottom of the dialog box which opens you will see keyboard battery percentage. Sort of an indirect way to show it, but I know of no other way to do it. I'm using the Apple Magic Keyboard rechargeable model.

Or, if you have the Bluetooth status enabled on the display top, click the Bluetooth icon and you can hover on the keyboard status to see the keyboard battery percentage. This works with the Magic Trackpads as well.

diego9

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2020
I know that some Linux desktop machines are capable of detecting a connected UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) system and automatically show a battery icon in the status bar, same as if the machine were a laptop. I have a UPS connected to a different computer, but never tried to connect it to the iMac to see what happens... ?‍♂️ It's too much trouble to pick up the iMac and take it to the other room where the UPS is, or vice-versa.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I know that some Linux desktop machines are capable of detecting a connected UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) system and automatically show a battery icon in the status bar, same as if the machine were a laptop. I have a UPS connected to a different computer, but never tried to connect it to the iMac to see what happens... ?‍♂️ It's too much trouble to pick up the iMac and take it to the other room where the UPS is, or vice-versa.

You will see the battery indicator on an iMac if the UPS is capable of communicating status with the machine. I know APC UPS units do this via a USB cable. No special software is needed.

diego9

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2020
You will see the battery indicator on an iMac if the UPS is capable of communicating status with the machine. I know APC UPS units do this via a USB cable. No special software is needed.

Yes, USB cable. I suspected that it would be just as plug-and-play with an iMac as it is with a Linux machine.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
Still need to set it in energy preference.

screenshot_277.png

screenshot_278.png

Last edited:

TheSufle

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
HI! I found a solution for you, install the HWMonitor 6.26.1440 application and add the percentage display
000.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.