Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
i bought a brand new 24'' al imac on last october.

it was very quiet, and cool

however, i can hear it more now. i think it is the fans.

it does need that much cooling as the weather is already cold in the uk and i dont like sweating into my room.

if i run tiger or xp, the same level of noise.

and it is becoming more noisy ever day.

performance is great, except tiger is getting a lot of dumbed preferences that slows it a bit.

so i dont really what the problem here.

anyone has the same issue, knows the probelm, sloved it?
i really like apple products for their low levels of noise and i assure this imac is not as quiet as the day i got it.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
The temp in your room and outside will have close to no impact on you computer when used indoors, so that is a non-issue. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "tiger is getting a lot of dumbed preferences that slows it a bit"? Are you running a lot of graphic intensive applications when this happens, several internet windows/tabs? Is it just a short duration or do the fans stay on from power on to off? I guess the point is, fill us in a bit more and maybe we can try to help with whatever you are experiencing.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It is likely just dust collecting in the fans, causing them to work harder. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to clean them like with laptops where you can blow compressed air into them.

I do not know if AppleCare takes care of this type of maintenance, though I suppose if it does not you could just file a claim saying it's making a racket and they'll clean it as a matter of course.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
The temp in your room and outside will have close to no impact on you computer when used indoors, so that is a non-issue. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "tiger is getting a lot of dumbed preferences that slows it a bit"? Are you running a lot of graphic intensive applications when this happens, several internet windows/tabs? Is it just a short duration or do the fans stay on from power on to off? I guess the point is, fill us in a bit more and maybe we can try to help with whatever you are experiencing.

I beg to differ. My iMac is noiser cuz the fans are spinning faster because its in an enclosed desk where the heat is being trapped, and the heat sensors are telling the fans to spin faster. If i took my imac onto an open desk. it will be quiter.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
my imac isnt making any sudden noise or very loud noise.

the noise level is high from on to off
i expect it to make more noise when i do graphics stuff like AE, this happens but i am not worried about this sort of noise.

i am worried about the idle noise level (when it is idle or hardly doing anything, like browsing or playing music)

it is the top model of the imacs with 2.8GHz C2E and 4GB RAM (OWC RAM and i dont think it is making the noise :p)

for a new machine, even if it is used for 24/7 i dont expect the noise level to increase noticeably in a few months period.

i do some graphics but i am a noob and dont do a lot.

i thought about the VM and emptied my Hard drive and now i have 120GB of free space in Tiger Partition.
About the preferences.
there are always some prefs that are installed but will be used for while and after that they stay in your system doing nothing but negative effect on the performance.

these prefs are for uninstalled applications, or reinstalled applications, or any additional sys prefs or whatever files. i believe these slow they system a 'bit'. but i am not saying this is the the cause.

as i mentioned above, i hate noisy computers and i paid more money partly to get a quite computer.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
I beg to differ. My iMac is noiser cuz the fans are spinning faster because its in an enclosed desk where the heat is being trapped, and the heat sensors are telling the fans to spin faster. If i took my imac onto an open desk. it will be quiter.

i kind of agree with u

i used my old plastic imac in a country where temp is around 40C and they were on all the time and the noise level was higher than its normal level in the uk.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
It is likely just dust collecting in the fans, causing them to work harder. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to clean them like with laptops where you can blow compressed air into them.

I do not know if AppleCare takes care of this type of maintenance, though I suppose if it does not you could just file a claim saying it's making a racket and they'll clean it as a matter of course.

i dont know about applecare as i have never dealt with them, but i guess i will have to send them my imac the thing i dont like.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006

That is completely apples and oranges. Obviously any computer in a small enclosed space will be impacted by the heat it produces. That situation, however, is not what was described by the OP who gave what sounded like a general description of an iMac sitting an a room. So please, I beg you, defer rather than differing. ;)

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
That is completely apples and oranges. Obviously any computer in a small enclosed space will be impacted by the heat it produces. That situation, however, is not what was described by the OP who gave what sounded like a general description of an iMac sitting an a room. So please, I beg you, defer rather than differing. ;)

He agreed;).

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
my 20" is noisyer than it was new

but i think its hard drive, not fan.

it does that crunching, i called apple and they just said... get used to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.