iMac best Windows Desktop?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hoyadoctor, Jun 20, 2011.

1. hoyadoctor macrumors newbie

Newbie here, convert of 25 yrs of PC until 2008 epiphany.:eek:

My wife wants a new desktop. She is unwilling to convert to mac despite using mine almost daily (those who are married will understand when I say that it's something not worth the battle).

I've looked at what's out there currently in the PC market and I've read different blogs regarding boot camp and 3rd party software.

My question is this: can I just install windows without OSX at all? My reasoning (which may be wrong) is that the hardware, aesthetics are just superior in the iMac over most anything else out there.

What are the limitations going this route? I've read about trackpad issues in machines that partition, but if you can run Windows as the sole OS, do those issues go away? Since there is no battery, there isn't an issue that the laptops have, but would processor overheating still be a risk?

Mind you, this is only worth doing if there are few quirks/hangups, otherwise I'll hear it on a daily basis.

Great forum. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Short answer is Yes, with a caveat.

You can install bootcamp..then Windows 7 and set it to use the the Bootcamp partition as the startup partition.

This is the best option for what you would like.

Just to be clear, better , cheaper hardware can be had. Aesthetically you cant beat the iMac

3. Wreckie, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Wreckie macrumors regular

I've heard that most programs don't use HT yet, maybe it is too early for HT?
    /sorry, wrong topic...
    That happens when you have 4 separated windows opened.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

Query . . . what does your wife do on a PC that requires a desktop?

5. rWally macrumors regular

If it's strictly an aesthetics thing why not go for a cinema display and then just get a PC with it? At least with the cinema display you can use it even after you replace the PC. The iMac screen is worthless once the computer dies. Will probably cost about the same as a 27" iMac would.

6. hoyadoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

Zeph: cheaper I understand, but better was the real question. So you're saying the only advantage (for Windows) is aesthetics? I like rWally's suggestion, a lot.

Wreckie: sorry, what's HT?

MTI: absolutely nothing (please refer to original statement regarding effort vs anguish). She does want a large screen though (already has 17" laptop that is on its last legs). I don't blame her on that one.

Thanks.

7. rWally macrumors regular

8. MTI macrumors 65816

From a husband POV, my suggestion would be to get as big a screen she wants . . . 24" . . . 27" . . . etc. and connect it to a decent Windows 7 Intel or AMD multi-core PC, perhaps one that has a Blu Ray drive.

She wants a PC, so don't mess with SWMBO. ;)

9. Giuly, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

So she doesn't want a Mac? Here you go:

Start with this. Add this, this, this, this, this. Stir until well mixed.

$543. And I would seriously consider to prepare the "YOU said you didn't want Mac after all..." speech :rolleyes:
    However, if you're not an arsehole like me, you might consider spending $200 more and making it a i7-2600K and a 2TB Scorpio Black or an additional 60GB SSD. In case you are an even bigger arsehole than me, you could substract $70 and make it a Pentium G620. Or Atom.

P.S.: I didn't find a disgusting gray case, you might find some on eBay, though. :)
    P.P.S: If she starts complaining that this thing is to slow, add a 7200RPM hard drive. This thing is Ivy Bridge-Ready for later CPU upgrades, too.

Buying a Mac and installing Windows only is like taking Bruce Lee and force him to break wood in a carpenter shop.