iMac, Black Friday, iWork 09?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BuddhistGirafe, Oct 23, 2009.

1. BuddhistGirafe macrumors member

Ok, so here is my situation. I am from Canada and I have a hockey tournament in Pennsylvania the week of Black Friday/ American Thanksgiving. I am hoping to get an 21.5" iMac, well, the base iMac for $1199.99. This brings me to a couple question, I need iWork 09 and I see it is 50 online, but 80 regularly, now I know this is the pre-installed price, but if I buy it with a brand new iMac, will I get the discounted price, second, what the hell are my chances of even getting one of these godly machines on black friday or a few days after, are Apple stores usually sold out at midnight? Do they get new stock the next day, what about best buys, really anywhere, what is my best chance of finding one?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You should be able to get one on Black Friday.

3. BuddhistGirafe thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good, any idea about the iWork thing?

4. ticho74 macrumors newbie

Customs

I don't know how long you're going for, but you might want to look into any duties you'd have to pay at the border... I think the max. exemption is CAD750. You can also get dinged with GST at the border too. I'm pretty sure the customs folks might notice the massive :apple: box sitting in your back seat... :eek:

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

You do know that on Black Friday, the American sales apply to Canada too, right? Last year, for example, it was $100 off a MacBook Pro whether you were in the US or Canada. Apple doesn't celebrate Boxing Day; only Black Friday.

Get caught transporting that across the border and you're look at heavy duties. Also, I thought the $49 iWork deal was only online but I may be mistaken.

6. BuddhistGirafe thread starter macrumors member

No, when your gone for a week the max amount is around 1500 give or take, so, I will be ok. Also, I travel to the U.S quite frequently and I have never had an issue as long as you declare your purchases the border guards are fine. Also, the 21" box can't be that big, I can fit it in the trunk of my pacifica.

7. BuddhistGirafe thread starter macrumors member

Still, the iMacs are way cheaper in the U.S, $1400 here, plus 13% tax, which is bull, and also the Apple Care, plus software is more expensive here.

8. macdoofus macrumors member

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

We also had Black Friday deals here in New Zealand last time (I think everywhere that has an online Apple Store did), altough from memory the "savings" were pitifully small. :( Might be worth me waiting to see what happens this year though.

10. smok46 macrumors newbie

...., I can fit it in the trunk of my pacifica.[/QUOTE]

Pacifica has no trunk :p

11. BuddhistGirafe thread starter macrumors member

Pacifica has no trunk :p[/QUOTE]

Haha, rear area? Lol, anyway, Im kinda thinking it might just be easier to order one from the Canadian Apple store online and have it waiting for me when I get back, Just the price difference is a little scary.

12. BuddhistGirafe thread starter macrumors member

HAHA. I have devised a plan. I was looking at the Canadian Apple store and the iMacs are 1300, not 1400, SO.... I think if they have the Black Friday Deals, or even if they do not, I am going to order it from the Canadian Store, have it shipped to my house, just the iMac with iWork, no extended warranty or remote, and go pick up the remote and apple care in a brick and mortar U.S store, no duties, no headaches. VOILA.

13. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Just a reminder, you will pay full price for Apple Care in the store. Try LA computing and see if they ship to Canada. I have always found them to be the
    cheapest on AppleCare.

14. Steven in VA macrumors member

Are you a student?

Or a teacher? Or hockey coach? The Education On-line store knocks $50 off the iMac. And the price there for AppleCare is a good bargain.

15. BuddhistGirafe thread starter macrumors member

I am not a student, nor a teacher, but I do coach a Hockey Team... how can I get an Educational Discount from coaching hockey?

16. BuddhistGirafe thread starter macrumors member

Well. It seems as though my plan has a little kerfufel. I have to get the iMac and apple care in yhe same country. Also. For a total of all the stuff I want. It would be around 1560 in the states. And a whipping 1850 here in the great white north. You gotta figure around black Friday the border guards ease up on merchandise amounts. Also, there will be 4 people travelling. So we just declare to total of 750 a person. Which is 3000 bucks. So. Even if I spend 1500 I should be ok. I cab hide the apple box kinda sorta. I'm not going to lie. I am just not going to have a computer box chilling in the open. So anyway. Of anyone sees any flaws there please let me know.

17. Buzz Bumble Guest

That depends on who employeed you, even if as a volunteer, as a coach. Non-profit community-based organisations do actually qualify for the "Educational Discount" as well, although they do usually have to be registered as non-profit.