iMac Bluray internal drive upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iSamurai, Aug 17, 2010.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I got an idea from wanting to upgrade my iMac hard drive from 1TB to 2TB. So I thought shouldn't the iMac optical drive be upgradable as well?

I looked on eBay and there were a few Bluray internal drives for sale like this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-iMac-2...-/180545578155?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal

The only thing I'm sceptical from buying one is that (1) will the iMac require a driver or will it recognise the drive, and (2) will a standard programme like VLC be able to play BD media?

Looks like a good idea to put the iMac's screen to good use. Sorry Apple I'm not going to be downloading HD movies. My internet is not uncapped.

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I believe it is hard / impossible to play BD disc in OSX should be fine in boot camp tho, if you can find a slot loading BD drive that fits in your iMac

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You will need a driver for it. As far as I know, Toast Titanium comes with one.

But you will still need some additional software to playback BluRay movie disks, and I do not know of ANY for Mac OS X. VLC can't do it.

Unless you plan on using Windows as your main OS, I doubt that replacing the SuperDrive with a BRDisk will do you much good.