iMac Bondi Blue 233Mhz rev. A - shuts down

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by wboy80, May 8, 2018.

1. wboy80 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Since yesterday was iMac Bondi Blue 233mhz anniversary, I wanted to try for another last time to power up my old iMac Bondi Blue rev. A 233mhz.
    Unfortunately it starts for a few seconds, light amber to green and then shuts down.
    So I am plugging out the power chord, waiting some minutes and trying again, same issue.

What I tried with no results:
    - Resetting the PRAM
    - Changing the PRAM battery
    - Changed power chord
    - New 160GB HD

Any ideas? :-(
    I've maybe read in this forum that the problem could be related to Line Output Transformer.

Thanks in advance for your precious help

Andrea (Italy)

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Sad to say that this is a classic symptom of a shorted Flyback Transformer.

It could be a fault in any component on the Analog Board, but 95% of the time it was the F.B.T (per above).

If you have a Mac multisync monitor, you can plug it into the 15 pin video socket (after removal of the internal video cable) to test the rest of the machine.

iMac TrayLoading Video Cable.png

It's relatively easy to replace with some basic soldering skills.

Locating a replacement is where it gets more difficult - but not impossible.

The only thing you need to do is determine the revision of the Analog Board.

The easiest way I found to do this is to look down at the top of the Power Supply Board (left side board when viewed from the back). The Revision 1 has a circuit board between the two heatsinks, whereas the Revision 2 does NOT.

661-2081 Rev1 Board.png 661-2167 Rev2 Board.png

The Flyback Transformer part number for a Rev1 is 6174Z-1003G and the Rev2 is 6174Z-1017D. ( Sometimes these are written without the '-' )

Here is a great write-up of the procedure -

http://www.gileskennedy.com/panthereatsimac/macopz.com/introduction.htm

Be careful with plastic clips at this age. Although the very bottom cover needs a good yank to remove (after removing the single screw if present).

3. wboy80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your support. wow.. Not an easy ride for me indeed!
    First of all, I have to find where to buy this replacement...
    Then I should maybe contact a support center, or maybe a friend who has the skills to do the replacement.

The procedure is quite clear with some images, but lot of work to do, and soldering as well. :-(
    I think I will try to contact an Apple authorized center just to have an estimate of the costs.
    Just to have an idea, you know.
    I know it could be silly to the eyes of many, but this was my first mac i bought with my own money, I was young, so it has a lot of good feelings connected. :)

Thanks for your help, I will let you know and post future updates here.
    Andrea

4. wboy80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I am adding some info.
    This is an actual picture of the iMac. From what I see here, it seems a REV A.

imac.jpg

I have just a question...
    - In the procedure in the link provided it's written:
    "Replace the video/analog boards yourself. If you can find the replacement parts (be sure you order the correct revision) on eBay or through MacResq, then you could replace them yourself. This would cost about $150-250 depending on where you get the boards."

Is it something more expensive but easier?
    I found this board --> https://www.dvwarehouse.com/661-208...-for-iMac-233MHz,-266MHz,-333MHz-p-36919.html
    Is this ok ?

Could this be a better solution? Repairing the analog board seems a lot of work to me. :(
    Thanks for your help!

Andrea

5. MacTech68, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

PLEASE NOTE, the correct nomenclature for the different Power Supply and Analog Board is Version, NOT Revision, though most sellers will probably define them as revision. Apple defines these differently. The key is IN THIS INSTANCE ONLY the numeric "1,2" denotes not backwards compatible, where as a letter "A,B,C,D" denotes the CPU speed of the upgraded models - my bad. :(

Nope, that is the revision of the cable. I've noted above how you tell. You may be able to peer into the upper part of the iMac with some light to see which revision it is. Take a pic and we'll see. I've never been aware of any other way to tell. AFAIK, it's the Analog (screen) board AND the power supply board that work as a pair, ie, you can't mix Rev 1 and Rev 2 in one chassis. If anybody knows how else to tell, I'm happy to hear from them.

Sadly, once you swap the Analog board, there is a whole heap of video alignments that need to be performed. It requires MacOS 8.1 to 9.x.x and is 'repair centre' only software but it's floating around. "Display Adjustment Utility" performs this job. There are something like 30 geometry, video level, RGB balance etc etc. It's tedious, since you really can't take short cuts with it, and you need to be fairly regimented in the accuracy. CRTs are NOT too forgiving when it comes to factory or default settings.

Also, you can replace the Flyback more easily than swapping both boards in terms of dis-assembly work.

The part I always hated was fe-fitting the cable to the CRT neck board. I can't remember if that is soldered or a 'pinch' type socket. The idea of cutting the red cable and joining it during replacement is NOT something I'd recommend.

So if you're prepared for a LOT of disassembly and a LOT of fiddly adjustments, then yes, much more expensive but no soldering.

Price for the revision Version 1 transformer:
    https://www.donberg.ie/catalogue/line_output_transformers/hr_46176.html

The revision Version 2 transformer is proving harder to find, unless you try eBay with shipping from the USA.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/292408547973

Until we know which revision Version you have, I can't say. But, if they're saying it fits a 333Mhz, then it's a revision Version 2 board - But the part number 661-2080 is Apple's part number for the revision Version 1

LATE EDIT:

try a google search for "(922-3679) .pdf" without quotes. The pdf should be of interest. ;)

6. wboy80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.
    I just contacted my local official Apple center, they said there is no support for the iMac Bondi Blue anymore and they cannot do the job since there are no replacement parts, and tools needed to repair thos machines and blah blah.. Nothing new. It's what I expected :mad:
    So I have to do the job myself, that is, contacting a willing technician who has to help me! :(
    I will take some more pictures in order to figure out if it's a rev. A or rev. B iMac.
    Then I can ask a friend who is repairing a lot of stuff, maybe he would feel confident in doing the procedure.
    I could pay him of course, it dependes on how difficult the procedure is itself.

By the way, thanks for the hint about that search! I guess it's the very complete document I've seen.
    Downloaded and saved.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again
    Andrea