iMac Boot Camp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Josh125, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Can I use an PC (gateway) OEM disk to install XP in boot camp or does it have to be the "official" MS OS disk?

2. xxjuicymintxx macrumors regular

I don't think it'd work. I think those versions of XP are modified for the carriers, but I could be wrong.

Just a thought.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Depends.

HP ships generic Windows CDs with their products, so they work fine. However, sometimes they only work with a specific range of product keys so you'd best want to use the key that came with the Label of Authenticity on the machine.

4. Cmax macrumors member

Cmax

Not sure about Gateway, but most OEM's simply provide a "factory" restore CD for their systems, which are only valid for that specific OEM model. However, if the CD you have has a holographic image with "Microsoft Windows XP" on it -- then you may be able to use that with Boot Camp. Nevertheless, it all depends on if the XP install CD you have includes a Product Key.

By the way, it is Microsoft's intention to discontinue the retail sale of Windows XP by the end of June 08. So, if you want a legal copy of XP, it might be best to buy one now.

5. Josh125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Josh125

Interesting, thanks all. I might give it a shot. The old OEM disk is mine so I think I'm legal to install it, just hope it doesn't blow up the computer :p

6. nigrunze macrumors regular

Make sure it's an XP SP2 disc. I read that earlier Windows XP discs won't work in an iMac. I'm just trying to save you some time if you do make it up to the formatting screen.