iMac boot speed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Serban, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Serban Suspended

Why my iMac boot with 3 seconds slower than my macbook pro?
    Maybe because its my main mac and have a bit more apps in it?

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe it has more login items? Do these 3 seconds really annoy you?

If so, with the information you have given us, only guesses can be made. If that is what you want, then okay I guess. If you want better answers, maybe state the specs of your Macs (SSD or HDD) and what OSs are installed on them.

3. Serban thread starter Suspended

i Have late 2013 27"Imac with Fusion Drive and maveriks
    Macbook pro 15" late 2013 as well with maveriks
    No, is not a touble for me, but i guess more applications is the problem since the maveriks is installed entirely on SSD from fusion drive

4. simsaladimbamba

It may be due to the iMac's flash storage device being a bit slower.
    The number of installed applications does not take away from booting time.
    Look at your Login Items, maybe there are a bit more on your iMac.

Or just use the SLEEP feature and do not experience the boot.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Fusion drive will always be slower than a pure-SSD setup.

Both my iMacs have pure-SSD setups (256GB in the 21.5" and 512GB in the 27", both Samsung drives, SM0256F and SM0512F respectively).

6. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Does your iMac have more ram? That, along with other things get checked at boot, and this takes time. As stated before, just put it to sleep instead

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

RAM gets checked and verified during the power-up boot cycle, so more RAM in the iMac will add a couple seconds to the boot process compared to the MacBook.

A Fusion drive will be slower than an SSD, regardless of where the OS resides. The OS will have to wait for the mechanical portion of the Fusion drive to report itself ready (spin up to proper RPM, etc.). And there may be files, however small, that reside on the mechanical portion of the volume that the OS will have to wait extra time to access. Not likely to be 3 seconds worth, but even just a half second is still 1/6th of the time difference we're looking at in this example.

Additional login items, as others have mentioned, could also add a small amount of time to the boot process if each Mac isn't set up the exact same way. Even system hardware drivers (like a Logitech mouse driver, etc.) that one Mac has that the other doesn't can add a fraction of a second, which in this case, can make a detectable difference.

Additionally, what are the CPU speeds of your two Macs? If the MacBook Pro is a Core i7 and the iMac is a Core i5, that could potentially explain some bit of difference, too.

Add all these fractions of a second up and you could easily get to the ~3000 msec difference you claim.

Bottom line: the difference you see is insignificant.

8. Serban thread starter Suspended

yes i have installed 12 Gb Ram in iMac and 8 Gb Ram in macbook pro
    so yes maybe its because of the Ram, i have 4+4+2+2 because i get for free when i purchase the imac 4gb ram

iMac has quad core 3.4Ghz i5
    Macbook pro has the 2.0 Ghz quad core i7

so i don't have to worry about anything?

9. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Seriously? You thought this was something to worry about? They are two completely separate, different machines. A difference of 3 seconds might be expected on even two iMacs or two MBP. Nothing at all to worry about.:)