iMac boot taking 8mins.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drustin, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Drustin macrumors newbie

Recently my iMac has been booting really slow and I've run out of ideas to fix it. So far I've used Onyx to tune everything up, repaired permissions, repaired disk using the disk utility (no errors came up), and I've cleared PRAM. I have XP as a partition using Boot Camp if that helps. Its starting to get really annoying and any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you done an Archive and Install of the Mac OS?
    What startup items do you have? Check and see...
    How much free space do you have on your disk?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Drustin thread starter macrumors newbie

There's 168 GB available, as for start up items I don't have any if I'm looking at the right area to check them.The part that takes the longest on the boot up if the blue screen right after the apple logo it just sits there for about 5mins. I think I'm going to do the archive and then re-install method if there are no other options. :rolleyes:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tried something simple like going to System Preferences/Startup Disk and reselecting the startup disk.

Can also try creating a new user, to see if a login item or preference is corrupted.

Also, being an Intel iMac, unplugging all the cables and wires from the machine, and then unplugging the power for a couple few minutes to do an SMC reset might help also.

5. Drustin thread starter macrumors newbie

After doing the SMC reset my boot up went from 8minutes to 8seconds :). Many thanks!

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Make sure too that you verify and repair permissions regularly too using disk utility or onyx

7. Drustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the problem came up again. I noticed it happens every time I boot up into Mac OS X after using XP. Should I try re-installing XP or try an alternative to boot camp? I'm mainly using it for just one Windows game.