iMac - Bootcamp needed to startup in Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ARRAYEWHY, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ARRAYEWHY macrumors newbie

I just got my iMac and installed VMware Fusion running Window 7. I tried to boot up in Windows 7 by doing the hold-down-Alt-key method but it didn't happen. I can only run Windows through VMware Fusion right now.

Do I need Bootcamp to do this?

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Yes, you need to install Bootcamp though the "Bootcamp assistant". Go To Applications>Utilities>Bootcamp assistant. Here you will "install" windows on a separate partition on the hard drive. Make sure to have your OS Install disk ready, and if you used a .ISO you can install it from a USB drive.

3. ARRAYEWHY thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. Could I just install Bootcamp over the Windows 7 that I'm running with VMware Fusion instead or reinstalling? There are some programs that I'd have to redownload and install if I did.

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

No; that's not possible. You might benefit from reading this, as it appears you're confused about native boot vs virtual machines. You can't natively boot into the VM you created with VMWare. You can, however, create a BC partition, install Windows, then use VMWare to virtualize the partition - this will allow you to "option boot" into Windows or access via VMWare while in OS X (which is the setup it sounds like you're trying to achieve).