iMac Bootcamp.... RAM running at a slower frequency?

applepie555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Hello,
I have an iMac early 2009 (2.93 ghz core 2 duo, nvidia gt120). I have loaded up bootcamp with Windows 7 so I can run some games and some windows programs. I am using the 64bit version of Windows. Technically this version is unsupported, but it is still possible to get it to work, see http://michael.anastasiou.me/en/component/content/article/22

I'm unsure if this is the cause of the problem.
After running it for a while, I noticed that my ram was not running at it's maximum frequency. The ram/fsb is supposed to run at 1066mhz, but under bootcamp it runs at only 530.7 mhz.

Is this normal? I don't want to have my ram speed be slowing down performance. Is there away to fix this?

Thanks

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Sautee Nacoochee, GA
You don't say how you are reading your memory frequency but since it is close to half I'm pretty sure what's being reported is normal.

PC3-8500 RAM (DDR3) has a clock of 533 MHz with an effective output of 1066 MHz. DDR stands for double data rate.

Last edited:

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
You don't say how you are reading your memory frequency but since it is close to half I'm pretty sure what's being reported is normal.

PC3-8500 RAM (DDR3) has a clock of 533 MHz with an effective output of 1066 MHz. DDR stands for double data rate.
Yeah jut had a look on my Windows box and most report it in as the headline figure but a few program's give you the true MHz speed. Confusing to say the least.

applepie555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Umm I saw the stat in CPU-Z. Decided to run a geekbench test since it is cross platform and so I can compare stats

Mac:

Windows:

So it does seem that something is different on windows

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
If it was running at half speed your score would be far lower than that. You won't get identical scores between platforms.