iMac Bootcamp.... RAM running at a slower frequency?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applepie555, May 27, 2013.

1. applepie555 macrumors regular

Hello,
    I have an iMac early 2009 (2.93 ghz core 2 duo, nvidia gt120). I have loaded up bootcamp with Windows 7 so I can run some games and some windows programs. I am using the 64bit version of Windows. Technically this version is unsupported, but it is still possible to get it to work, see http://michael.anastasiou.me/en/component/content/article/22

I'm unsure if this is the cause of the problem.
    After running it for a while, I noticed that my ram was not running at it's maximum frequency. The ram/fsb is supposed to run at 1066mhz, but under bootcamp it runs at only 530.7 mhz.

Is this normal? I don't want to have my ram speed be slowing down performance. Is there away to fix this?

Thanks

2. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

I wonder if its simply not being read correctly. Its reporting at exactly half of the 1066 Mhz.

3. richard13, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

richard13 macrumors 6502a

You don't say how you are reading your memory frequency but since it is close to half I'm pretty sure what's being reported is normal.

PC3-8500 RAM (DDR3) has a clock of 533 MHz with an effective output of 1066 MHz. DDR stands for double data rate.

4. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

Yeah jut had a look on my Windows box and most report it in as the headline figure but a few program's give you the true MHz speed. Confusing to say the least.

5. applepie555 thread starter macrumors regular

Umm I saw the stat in CPU-Z. Decided to run a geekbench test since it is cross platform and so I can compare stats

Mac:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Windows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it does seem that something is different on windows

6. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

If it was running at half speed your score would be far lower than that. You won't get identical scores between platforms.