iMac & Bootcamp ~ SSD vs Fusion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacVault, Sep 8, 2015.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Hi, I'm about to buy the iMac 2015 5K. I was going to configure it with a 3TB fusion drive but then I read how the SSD drive provides best performance. I want to run Bootcamp but I read somewhere that it might not work on an SSD.

Questions: 1) Will Bootcamp work on a full SSD flash drive? 2) Is the performance gain of an SSD worth sacrificing the storage capacity or is a 3TB fusion drive really the best of both worlds? Would you take a 512GB SSD over a 3TB fusion? Keep in mind I will be using Bootcamp.

2. Peter118 macrumors newbie

I own the iMac 5K, with a 1TB fusion drive. I have splitted the 128GB from the HDD and installed El Capitan and Windows 10(Bootcamp) on the SSD. I use half of the SSD for OSX and the other half for Windows 10 bootcamp. That is more than enough for the basic programs. The other data i store on the HDD. I'm very happy with this configuration.

3. Peter118 macrumors newbie

And, to be honest......I rather have had a 512GB SSD, but that was too expensive. As i said, i'm happy with this configuration, it is fast.

4. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Peter118 macrumors newbie

6. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, Peter118. But I don't want to do any hacks. I want to confirm whether I can do a standard bootcamp install of Windows 7 or 10 to a factory, built-in 512GB iMac SSD on the latest iMac models. Or will Bootcamp run hack-free only on a mechanical HDD?

7. Peter118 macrumors newbie

Built-in always works, on SSD as well as HDD. Without any hacking.

8. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Is the SSD worth the extra cost vs a fusion drive? Or is fusion drive a good compromise?

9. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

i found a great deal on a refurb 5K iMac with a 512 SSD for less than I was paying for the same machine with the 1gb fusion even with my wifes EPP discount.

I have carved out a 64gb partition for Windows 7, but to be totally honest, I have not even used it in the past 6 months since having the iMac. For the couple of times that I needed to use windows, I pulled it up with VMware and it was far less bother than rebooting.

As for games... perhaps I am not an avid gamer. I do have a gaming PC running windows, but I have been playing some rather fun games on my mac (Trine 1 & 2.. and am thinking of getting Deus Ex. For $5 a game how can you fret)

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, it will work fine.

My 5K iMac has the 1TB SSD partitioned 768GB for OS X and 256GB for Windows 10 BootCamp.

11. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

Bootcamp and SSD is a none-issue, you must have read articles from before Apple used SSDs or something.
    rMBP here with a 1 TB SSD, split 128 GB for Windows and rest for OS X. I moved from a 1TB Mac mini server, and wanted to ensure all the stuff could be moved over. the price bump was steep, but I do not regret getting the (big) SSD (rather than mingeling around with external HDD's or similar)

12. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm still wrestling with SSD vs Fusion for my new 27" 5K iMac order. Questions:

1) Are the Fusion drives 5400 or 7200 rpm in the new 27" 5K iMacs?
    2) Is the SSD portion of the fusion drives only 128GB? Even in the 3TB Fusion?
    3) I read that a pure SSD drive is much faster than a Fusion drive. But if I "split" the fusion drive, is the SSD portion of that Fusion drive then as fast as a build-to-order SSD?
    4) If I wanted to upgrade my storage later on, is it easier to upgrade from Fusion to SSD? Or SSD to Fusion?

13. johnh57 macrumors regular

SSD will always be faster than an HDD, What the fusion does is move less used files off to the HDD where slower access time is less critical. But whatever data you do have that is on the HDD portion of the fusion drive will not have the access times that they would have on an ssd. The fusion drive acts as a single drive - but it is two physical devices, one pcie SSD and one sata HDD. The fusion drive is just software telling the computer where to physically store specific files.

As far as upgrading - IF you start with an imac that has the fusion drive it is 'possible' to replace the HDD portion of the fusion drive with an ssd. The physical part of the fusion drive is just a sata hdd. However - to get to it and replace it means cracking open the imac - in all likelihood you've just kissed your warranty goodbye. OTOH if you're planning to keep the machine beyond the 3 years of applecare it is a possible future upgrade path. Search ifixit and imac SSD there's plenty of information on how to. As I understand it this is not something apple or apple service centers will do. You are on your own with this.

If you start with an imac that is solely SSD, The sata connector that drives the hdd portion of the fusion drive isn't there - so there is no simple way to add a second SSD. You'd have to replace the main SSD and that means A.) total disassembly of the imac, and B) you can't buy a SSD of the proper configuration anyway, you have to find one from a takeout or parts machine.

Myself, i'm thinking the 512 gb SSD and using a thunderbolt port for an external SSD if I should ever need too.

14. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Is an external thunderbolt i/o just as fast as an internal drive?

15. riviera74 macrumors member

Get the SSD. You will not regret it. When I get my iMac, an SSD will be mandatory.

16. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Faster, if you get the right one. TB is way fast enough to keep up with SSDs and arrays of them. Hence why some people buy the smallest SSD and then stick a big SSD array on the TB port.

17. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

I ordered an Apple certified refurb early this morning... iMac 27" 5K 2015 3.3Ghz 512GB SSD 8GB... $2119! I will max out the RAM to 32GB from Crucial and get a Thunderbolt drive if I need more storage capacity!

18. johnh57 macrumors regular

crucial mem for imacs was out of stock yesterday if you're in a hurry. OWS (macsales) has mem, a bit more expensive than crucial. Still much less than Apple.

I've noticed the i7 refurb units are not staying in the store for long, hours instead of days.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Unless you really need that 32GB (id on't know your usage), a 16GB kit will give you 24GB in your 2 spare slots and what you get already, it's cheaper and will do for all but the most demanding users.

20. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Good idea, Samuel. I might just do that. So the 8GB included RAM would be 2 x 4GB dims leaving 2 slots open? So I could get a 16GB kit now to make 24 and another 16GB kit down the road if I need to make 32GB total?

21. johnh57 macrumors regular

Yes. Just add 2 8's to get 24. Replace the 2 4's later if you really need it.

22. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Now I'm just hoping I don't miss the i7 or M295X with 4GB of video ram :confused:
    I'm not much into games or video production, but who knows what I'll want to do tomorrow, right? :eek:
    Just keeping my budget at ~$2000 sounded much better for some reason than ~$3000+

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm able to install Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to Windows 10 without issue on my internal disk partitioned with Boot Camp Assistant. But then after I use Winclone to copy it across to the external Thunderbolt SSD, it looks like it's booting (I get the Windows icon), but then it boots to a completely black screen with a cursor I can move around. Very odd. I can't do anything at that point.

Tried multiple times. I give up. How did you get Windows 10 to work? I can clone Windows 8.1 without issues to my external Thunderbolt disk, but not Windows 10..

24. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I haven't had time to attempt to move my Windows 10 internal installation back to the external Thunderbolt SSD that I had been using for Windows 8. I had to WinClone it internal in order for the Windows 10 upgrade to succeed as it wouldn't install with a 2 drive setup and I couldn't simply temporarily remove the internal OS X drive on the iMac.

Are you by chance running a beta El Capitan version of OS X? There are reports that due to the rootless protection, WinClone is unable to create a Windows installation. Booting from a Yosemite disk and then using WinClone from there apparently works (see posts by SoyCapitan for more info).

25. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm using the GM of El Capitan. You are correct - the RESTORE process of WinClone will indeed fail, but they had an article on that, and the restore works just fine (it completes without errors) with this tweak. I just can't figure out why Windows 10 is being such an issue...

https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204838719