Imac boots in recovery partiition

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BoxedUser, Dec 2, 2011.

1. BoxedUser, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

BoxedUser macrumors newbie

I cant get into my mac by starting it up regularly, only way i can get into my mac is going into safe mode. Its a mid 2011 imac with Lion preinstalled also to make it worst i cant reinstall lion since it says its damaged. Any suggestions also, im new to mac and run bootcamp half the time.

Its a base model 21.5 mid 2011 imac. Tried Single User mode and V mode both are successful but boot in
    "Mac os Utitiites" WHich is the recovery partiiton

I think it something to do with software update in lion i got last night, also 300 views and 0 replies just because im a newbie. Not into mac os but can you still help me? Won it in a youtube giveaway, hope it makes you angry enough to reply
    verified permissions and disk all seem to be ok. My sister tried to go into guest mode to print something on my printer.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

When you hold [alt] when booting, what different options show up?

3. BoxedUser thread starter macrumors newbie

4. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

When you say "its damaged", are you referring to a specific partition (if so, please specify), or is the entire disk being reported as damaged? I know you said you tried verifying the disk (which I'm assuming means you can get into the recovery partition?), but have you tried repairing it anyway to see if something changes?

If the physical disk were damaged, I would think that you wouldn't be able to get into any of the partitions without problems (if not many failures in trying to do so), so I'm guessing only the OSX booting partition is damaged. Of course, I could be wrong here, and the disk might be damaged beyond repair, which would mean you'd have to get it replaced.

5. BoxedUser thread starter macrumors newbie

I was referring to the lion installation backup

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Once in the recovery partition, reinstall Lion. That should DL a fresh version from the app store. It should just install over the current version with no data loss.

7. BoxedUser thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant the lion recovery partition was damaged, ima call apple support see if they have a solution

8. ELSELS macrumors member

Mac OS-X Lion NOW won't boot, but used to.

Hello,

If I have an iMac, that used to boot into Mac OS-X Lion, that now (for whatever reason), doesn't, are you saying that if I reinstall LIon on top of Lion, it will possibly fix the non-booting error, WITHOUT touching my exsiting applications and data?

That's really all I want, is the drive to boot again, not tamper with all my data and installed applications.

I have run all the disk utility "fixes" still refuses to boot.

Thanks!

Have a nice evening,

Ed

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is correct.

10. ELSELS macrumors member

Fixing Lion Boot Files..Reinstall

Hello,

Ok, thanks for your answer... :)

I do appreciate it very much.

Have a nice day,

Ed

11. woodworker macrumors newbie

Did this fix your problem? I seem to be in the exact same situation.

I cannont start in safe mode, but if I hold the "option" key after the initial noise it gives me four options: I can enter disk utility; I can get basic, non-java internet; I can reinstall the OS through Apple online (is this new in 10.8?) and there is one other option that I forget.

When I enter Disk Utility here is the basic setup:

-- 320.07 GB (internal) (this drive mounts and shows no errors if I "verify")
    ------ Macintosh HD (this drive will not mount; will not repair)

-- 1 TB WD Passport (external) (mounts) (formatted to the same as the external -- journaled)
    ------- Untitled (can mount or unmount)

both drives are GPT partition

Since my internal HD seems really corrupted and I cannot even start in safe mode, I am trying to salvage my data.

should I be trying to create an image with the 320 or should I be trying to restore (copy) the 320 to the 1TB?

The fact that the Macintosh HD will not mount has me worried. I keep getting error messages trying to do both.

What are the steps I should take to try to copy my drive? Thank you!!