iMac boots to white

Discussion in 'iMac' started by catninja, Oct 30, 2012.

1. catninja macrumors newbie

Hi, awhile ago I got an iMac from a friend of a friend. They didn't tell me what was wrong with it, only that it needed a new OS. It's a PPC mac and I wanted to try out Lubuntu linux (but I have OSX 10.6 if that doesn't work)

But when I try to boot, I get a white screen, then after awhile a folder with a question mark appears.

I tried holding alt(option) to boot, but the weirdest thing happens. I'm still in the same white screen, but I get a cursor.

This is again with the Lubuntu linux disk. The OSX 10.6 disk just gives me a white screen and the folder.

Is this a hardware issue or software? Because I tried booting Windows XP just for the hell of it and it actually went through the setup until the end.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

If it is a PPC Mac, it will not run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will be the highest version possible on a PPC Mac.
    I do not know about Lubuntu.

If you can get your hands on a Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard RETAIL DVD, you might be able to get Mac OS X installed onto that sucker.

3. catninja thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I'm going to try and find 10.5, not sure about Lubuntu either. I guess I'll try Leopard to make sure it's not a hardware error

4. Lampmeister macrumors member

I agree. You've got to get that sucker running in OS X, then tackle Lubuntu.

5. catninja thread starter macrumors newbie

So I downloaded 10.5.6 onto a disk and tried that, but same thing as Lubuntu. It boots to white screen and cursor when I hold option(alt) Any chance this is hardware related?