iMac bought but warranty invalid without original owner transfer!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eddiedredge, Aug 9, 2007.

1. eddiedredge macrumors newbie

Hi all

I purcased an Apple imac G5 20" from ebay and since i have had it the Logic board has ended up getting a fault. I took it in to an apple dealer and they have told me it will cost £500 to repair. Now my issue is this: The chap in the shop check any warranty status and found that it has an Applecare plan untill 2009. Somthing I was unaware of. However without the original recipt I am unable to make a claim. Now the only recipt I have is the Ebay Recipt (which is from a shop tri-citytrading). I have contacted the ebayer and they have infiormed me that they don't know the wear abouts of the recipt.

I need to know if this is standard pratise and if i should pursue it or it pointles. I feel as I brought the Imac i therefore brought the warranty regardless if i have the original reipt or not. I was also under the impression that the paln went with the computer. Just a little frustrated. Any help would be greatfully recived.

Many thanks
    Eddie Dredge

2. eddiedredge thread starter macrumors newbie

It also seems that I have forgot how to type sorry for the spelling mistakes

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Call Apple. Once the Applecare is registered, Apple has the dates online and the coverage goes with the serial number of the machine -- a receipt is NOT required.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I know when I sold my iBook G4 with Applecare I had to go through Apple and have the Applecare transferred to the new owner. A receipt may not be required but transfer of the Applecare might be required. I'm too lazy to read much further so I'll start ya off.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

5. eddiedredge thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I called apple and they said that the previous owner needs to transfer the ownership of the apple care as advised by SilentPanda. I still feel however that I already own what came with the computer and if I have a valid invoice (from whiom I brought the Mac from) then its irrelevent as to the whereabouts of the original recipt and apple should honor my claim. Also the terms and conditions of the apple care plan should only affect me now, so therefore if I now

and i quote

"choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan"

Then as the new owner Its my responsibility to do this. Hoowever if i fail to do this it shouldn't be the fault of the buyer to uphold this clause as at the point of buying they recive an invoice from the seller, which should stand up in its own right. Espeially as the Apple Care is register, via a serial number, to that mac and that mac only. I feel that Apple have an obligation to uphold the Apple Care. I feel like seeking legal Advice. Any thoughts?

P.s I still an't spell!!!