iMac brought. Question about torrent programs. Which one do you use?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zelnaga, May 27, 2011.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Hi guys, I've brought an iMac today and first impressions are good. Got everything almost transferred but found out that my old torrent client (bitlord 1.0) is not supported on the mac.

Just wondering what is the best torrent client to us? I know they all pretty much do the same but I liked bitlord 1.0 for its simplistic looks and non clutter info screen.

Thanks in advance.

2. John89 macrumors regular

3. iLucas macrumors 6502

Back in the day I used utorrent, but since the past year or so i've been buying everything rather than torrenting.

4. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

I can imagine this is going to turn into a big debate, but torrents aren't always for "getting things free".

Apple uses torrents to seed Lion DP's to developers.

Just thought I'd point that out that torrents ≠ theft.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

6. iLucas macrumors 6502

This is true. I agree they aren't always for getting free things. I was just saying that i myself do not use them these days.

7. shawn4523 macrumors newbie

I got my first mac the day the new 2011 macbook pro's were released. When setting it up I started looking for comparable software to the things I was running in Windows. For torrents I decided to use Transmission. I have been using it for a couple of months now and have never had a problem. I would say also that I used utorrent on the Windows side and I like Transmission much better.

8. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

I used Azureus until they wrecked it with a bunch of useless features now I use uTorrent

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Apple distributed the Lion DPs via the Mac App Store (Mac Developers were given redemption codes). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty certain that any Lion torrents are illegitimate.

10. archer75 macrumors 65816

Transmission for torrents
    Nzbvortex for other things

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Vuze! It has a meta search engine, you can download torrents and play them. You can even stream movie and avi files to your XBox, PS3, Wii or whatever. I can even control what Vuze is downloading on my phone.

Check it out.

http://www.vuze.com/

12. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yep pretty much

The point was what programs do people currently use, not asking if you didnt use any.

Because its garbage. Vuze/Azureus, turned into plain ol simple garbage programs.

Just use uTorrent or transmissions simple, straight forward apps no gimmicks about them.

And again torrents do not mean its illegal pirating or anything like that.

13. minton macrumors member

There's a similar meta-search widget in utorrent and I always wish it would instead search my torrents I already downloaded, which would be much more useful to me. Also utorrent has a way of filing downloads on your disk based on labels you assign - would love to hear of any other options for mac bittorrent clients that do this sort of housecleaning as well.

14. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Agreed Azureus used to be real good but then with all the things they added it just turned into crapware..

15. Emathieu macrumors regular

I use Transmission - no fluff, and gets the job done.

16. Flavor macrumors newbie

Transmission is nice and tidy; works like a charm.

17. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

Plus one for transmission, its the only one i have used but i enjoy it so why change?

18. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Why use a Java app when you can use something that's native Cocoa?

19. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

sorry to ask here.

anyone know a good download manager for mac ? (not java app)

and works with mediafire,fileserver and file sonic.

20. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^The only one I know of is jdownloader, it is java but it's powerful, stable, well featured and free.

21. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

yeah i know about it but it make my MBP hot and make the fan blow out. (cpu goes to 80-88c)

22. AdrianK macrumors 68020

How much CPU load is it using? It's not as good as a Cocoa app but jD really isn't that bad, I've never seen it use enough cycles to cause 88C temps. It's currently using 15% for me on MU, not enough to push my CPU past 65C.