iMac BTO refund policy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sinser, May 19, 2011.

1. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Maybe the question is silly...but are there any differencies/hassles/problems in the 14 days refund policy for BTO orders on the iMac ?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

While it may depend on your location, I think BTOs have the same return/refund policy, as long as you buy it from Apple.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Not in my experience. I had a 2009 i7 27" that had to go back - when you could only get the i7's as BTO, and it was dealt with relatively swiftly. It'll just end up on the refurb store.

I'm in the UK, incidentally.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My understanding is that any BTO is obviously covered for replacements under defects, etc., however, if you are not happy with it and simply want to return it for a refund, they will most likely charge you a restocking fee since you didn't buy a stock model.

5. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I returned my i7 3.4GHz to an Apple store within 14 days and got a full refund with no quibbles or restock charge.
    The impression I get is that for the iMacs they want to keep customers happy as the whole process took no more than 5 minutes tops.

6. sinser thread starter macrumors 6502a

sinser

I just read the Apple policy. It just says:

What I can't understand is if a BTO iMac has to be considered a Personalized product

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It isn't a personalized product. An iPod with your name engraved on it cannot be sold, not even in the refurb store. A BTO iMac can be sold as a refurb, just like the stock model can be.

8. ChargedPC macrumors member

I believe that they are called CTO (Configured-to-order) Macs, and would therefore fall under Apples Custom-Configured Product policy found here:

Custom-Configured Product

Apple offers certain products that may be custom-configured to your specifications. Please review your order carefully. Once your custom-configured item has been prepared for shipment, it may not be changed or canceled. Learn more about Apple's Return and Refund Policy.​

9. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

That doesn't say anything about whether they can be returned for refund or if a restocking fee applies.

10. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I asked about sending back a defective Mac regarding my CTO and I was told that a pick-up was only a phone call away, certainly for the first 14 days.
    If I can't break it or find a gremlin in 14 days, it's a keeper.