iMac burn in?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TC400, Dec 13, 2010.

1. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

So yesterday I was cleaning the screen on my iMac with a microfiber cloth and I had the screen titled up and the screen saver came on and I could notice like my menu bar and where I keep my iChat window on the left side.
    I was stunned I thought only plasma tvs and those old CRT monitors burned in like that? So when LCD came out there was no burn in thus people didn't have to use screen savers. ( For me I just like using screen savers :p )
    Is this normal or is there something wrong?
    Mind you its a 21.5 inch base model iMac.

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

LCDs don't really burn in that easily. What you're experience is image retention, which is common on lcds. Just leave it on a blank white screen for a half hour or so and it'll go away.

3. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Thanks I'll give it a try for a day and let ya know :D

4. Bmaintz macrumors member

I thought the new iMacs were LED??
    Might be thinking of the new MacBook Air...

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Whenever an electronics company mentions led tv or screen, they're referring to the backlighting of that particular device. So in this case, it's leds backlighting an lcd panel instead of ccfl's.

The benefits are higher contrast, brightness, faster response when turning on and better color vibrancy.

True oled screens are usually relegated to small phones and devices. There's only few large format oled screens right now on the market, and they cost a lot for what they provide.

6. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Thats what I thought. That my iMac was LED backlight LCD display.