Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hello all.

As this is my first mac i have a question. I have had this iMac 27" inch for some months now and it works perfect! The problem is though now that when i looked at the screen while it was turned off there is some "burned" spots on the screen. I have had another also to look, and she can also see it.

I have tried to clean the screen with a cloth, but it is still there.

I cant see it when the screen/mac is turned on. There the picture is beautiful.
What do i do from here?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english. Im from Denmark

Have taken some pictures as proff. I know it looks like some other "small dots" on the screen but that is dust from my HTC Desire camera.

You can easily see it the first two pictures...

Pictures:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0140.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0141.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0145.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0143.jpg

From Kehaan...

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hello.

Do you know how long it usual takes? Do they usually replace it with a new unit? Or repair it?

And first time i need to call to Apple, and i read there is something about if the mac is older then 3 month, i have to pay to call them?

Thanks.

From Kehaan

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hey again.

Hmm just read on the danish support page:
"Is your product within the free 90 day support period or covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you should not pay for support. If your product does not recover, it costs 399 kr. errors, you will have support for." (Used google translator)

I hope it is free, when it looks like a hardware failure... Else it might be my last mac...

From Kehaan.

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
If you didn't buy Apple Care, the iMac is covered for a year. After 90 days you have to pay for telephone support, but everything else is still covered by the warranty so the repairs should be free unless they say you caused the damage but this doesn't appear to be the problem in your case. If you can, bring it into an Apple Store.

I had a Macbook Pro sent in for repair which took about 1-2 weeks. I had to send it in a couple of times and in the end I got a replacement Macbook Pro because the couldn't figure out the problem. Usually if they can't fix the problem in 3 tries you get a replacement.

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hey

Just called them. And they said i need to return it to a service place...

I thought they would come and get it? :S

From Kehaan.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hey

From Kehaan.

Call again and tell them that you don't own a car and service place is far away so it would be pain your arse to use public traffic. AFAIK, they'll come and pick it up though that takes longer

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hey again.

I just thought the pickup was free the first year...

From Kehaan..

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hey again.

I just thought the pickup was free the first year...

From Kehaan..

AFAIK, it is but if you have a car and the service place ain't that far away, it's faster if you bring it to them as it takes few days before carrier comes and other day or so to get it delivered to service place. Call again and ask for pickup

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hello.

BAAAAH! Just got a email... Got 2 address where i need to come and deliver the machine... great... I dont have a car... And he says one of the places wont sent it in... So i have to buy a onsite repair (apple care)... Great first mac with no support!

From Kehaan....

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Hello.

BAAAAH! Just got a email... Got 2 address where i need to come and deliver the machine... great... I dont have a car... And he says one of the places wont sent it in... So i have to buy a onsite repair (apple care)... Great first mac with no support!

From Kehaan....

You were never promised white glove pick up and delivery. Just get it there and be done with it. If you want it fixed, you will find a way!:eek:

adammjenkins

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2009
West Virginia
My 2nd 27" iMac had this problem. I described it to Apple as a condensation problem, and they replaced the machine. I don't think that mine covered quite as much of the screen as your's, but I do find it rather odd that both of our issues occurred in the top right corner and that there is an obvious "swooping" down toward the bottom/left. Oh well, that machine is behind me, and now I've got a third that, despite having a screen noise issue (high pitched whistle accompanied with random buzzing when screen brightness is adjusted), I am going to begrudgingly keep. (There is a story to this and I'm not very happy, but that isn't what this thread is about. I will say, though, I've had a great experience with tech support, but a TERRIBLE experience with Apple Customer Relations). I'll most likely be looking elsewhere for a new computer when the time comes, almost solely because of my experience with Customer Relations.

Here are the pictures that I sent to Apple Care via e-mail while I was dealing with this issue. (I don't have a very good camera, so fair warning):
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/the_main_frame/IMG_2668.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/the_main_frame/IMG_2663.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/the_main_frame/IMG_2662.jpg

Best of luck with your situation.

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hey.

Thanks for your answer. I am going to deliver the iMac on monday. The shop called "Apple house" (Eplehuset) would then send it to Apple.

I think my next computer will still be a mac. Even thought i have this issue, i am still happy that i switched to one from a PC.

From Kehaan.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Hey

From Kehaan.

You have no friends with a car, or you can't take a cab? I do not know of any PC makers who will come to your home and pickup your computer for repairs. Don't blame Apple if you do not have friends with a car or you can't take cab mate!

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I have never heard of the screen getting burned on an Apple. In fact not heard of it at all on LCD screens. Before you return it, can you explain what a burned screen is?

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hey all :)

I know some with a car, so i will get it transported. But the places Apple mentioned was around 80km away + the cost of a bridge. I had just thought Apple was going g to get it, as i had read Apple had done it with others, which had not brought Apple Care ;)

@Stealthipad I dont know if you can call it burned, but i dont know what else to call it. It looks like some burned spots, as it is rather black? Or like the black bar around the screen have melted. The Apple support saw the pictures, and we tried a reset of the machine first, and he concluded it was a hardware error ;) So i am going to deliver it on monday to the nearest place. I found a place which is only around 20km away, and they will then send it to Apple.

I was just a little annoyed that my new Mac already had a error :) But the Apple support was great, and i will for sure buy the Apple care when i am close to the 1 year warranty.

Thanks.

From Kehaan.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Hey all :)

I know some with a car, so i will get it transported. But the places Apple mentioned was around 80km away + the cost of a bridge. I had just thought Apple was going g to get it, as i had read Apple had done it with others, which had not brought Apple Care ;)

@Stealthipad I dont know if you can call it burned, but i dont know what else to call it. It looks like some burned spots, as it is rather black? Or like the black bar around the screen have melted. The Apple support saw the pictures, and we tried a reset of the machine first, and he concluded it was a hardware error ;) So i am going to deliver it on monday to the nearest place. I found a place which is only around 20km away, and they will then send it to Apple.

I was just a little annoyed that my new Mac already had a error :) But the Apple support was great, and i will for sure buy the Apple care when i am close to the 1 year warranty.

Thanks.

From Kehaan.

I hope they get it sorted out for you. Apple does have great service and they will take care of the problem.

Kehaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hello.

Would just say i did deliver it yesterday :)

They said there would go around 1,5week, to i would get it back again.

Will keep you informed about how it goes.

Thanks.

From Kehaan

drchiu

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Just curious, did you put the iMac underneath a lamp or had a lamp close to it? I remember I had a Samsung LCD close to a lamp, and over time the plastic deformed.

rbeck

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
Screen Burn

Hello all.

As this is my first mac i have a question. I have had this iMac 27" inch for some months now and it works perfect! The problem is though now that when i looked at the screen while it was turned off there is some "burned" spots on the screen. I have had another also to look, and she can also see it.

I have tried to clean the screen with a cloth, but it is still there.

I cant see it when the screen/mac is turned on. There the picture is beautiful.
What do i do from here?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english. Im from Denmark

Have taken some pictures as proff. I know it looks like some other "small dots" on the screen but that is dust from my HTC Desire camera.

You can easily see it the first two pictures...

Pictures:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0140.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0141.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0145.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Kehaan/IMAG0143.jpg

From Kehaan...

I had the same issue in the top right and top left, I pulled the screen off and cleaned behind it. It was just dirt on the screen ( smoke ) I am a smoker. Anyway it took care of what I thought was a burned screen.

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
My older iMac screen has this kind of look. I never knew it was a problem because the picture is as beautiful as ever.
Thanks for giving me something to worry about...arrrgh :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.