iMac - buy new, or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lana-lang, Apr 6, 2009.

1. lana-lang macrumors newbie

So, I'm trying to decide if I should buy a new iMac, or just upgrade my old one. I've been trying to sell my Power PC G5 on craigslist for almost a week, but no takers. I even included CS2. I was hoping to get at least $400 for it so I could put the money towards a new one.

My iMac has 1.8 GHz and 512 MB RAM and a 150 GB hard drive. I'm still running on 10.4.11.

Is it really worth it to buy a new iMac? or should I just add some RAM and upgrade to 10.5? I just installed CS4, but I'm afraid that my machine won't handle it well.

thoughts?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

In my opinion, it is time to dump the Power PC. How long has it been since the switch to Intel? A couple of years at least. I'd keep the G5 as a second computer, without upgrading and buy a new iMac.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, PowerPC is a thing of the past when SL hits. iMacs are good machines for a good price, I'd say its time to get a new one.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you can't sell it, you can't sell it. I'd pay to max the ram out and use the g5 for as long as you can. Maybe a 7200 rpm hard drive, but that may be the point of pouring good money in after bad.