iMac........buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by caliguy19, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. caliguy19 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #1
    Hi all,
    With all the issues with the new iMac (heating, freezing,gradient issue etc), should I wait for them to fix everything or buy one now.
    I have been waiting for Leopard and now I am reading about the problems people are having and don't want to be disappointed as this would be my first Mac.
    I am also going to buy a mac pro but I have been reading that it is going to get an update soon, so I am waiting for now.

    What do you think?

    Cali
     
  2. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    If you don't mind the reflect-o-screen, buy now.
     
  3. Kuska macrumors regular

    Kuska

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    Deep in The Weald, England
    #3
    I've just bitten the bullet and returned my third - really hard decison but couldn't put up with the screen issues I'd experienced. And the really hard part of this is that I just can't stand the pain of going through the process of potentially having to return a 4th. Until I read of some consistency of properly operating machines - I'll be holding off a while before reordering - but I will be re-ordering at some point............in the not too distant future.....I hope.
     
  4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #4
    I would definitely wait until Apple has resolved the freezing issue. Its not something you want to experience.
     
  5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #5
    It sucks, but you might be best just to wait. Apple is aware of this issue and has acknowledged it, but it may take a little bit of time before the problem is completely rectified.

    It's too bad, but it is what it is. :(
     
  6. Hallvalla macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2006
    #6
    Just got mine yesterday. Installed Leopard. No problems with freezing, etc. But it's early, so I'll give it a few days of running before coming to any concrete opinions.

    Screen looks great. Maybe Apple has fixed some issues on the latest builds?
     
  7. gorby macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #7
    I am in the same exact situation as you. I really couldn't wait for the 'next' iMac to get a new computer, and couldn't wait out the 'will-they-or-won't-they-admit it' on all of the reported issues (barring the freezing, which they've acknowledged)

    Therefore I went with the white C2D iMac. Good luck with your decision!
     
  8. theanimala macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    #8
    I have had my 24" for the past week and I love it. That being said, there isa deal at PC Connection on the last gen 24" for $1299, shipped and no sales tax. Comes with 10.4 installed, 10.5 on a cd in the box. I think I would have saved $400 if I had the option to go back in time.
     
  9. MattyP30 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    #9
    hi,

    just purchased a new alu imac 20" 2.4ghz

    am a little worried about the issues that have been highlighted - mainly because its a lot of hastle having to keep getting hardware replaced, and it should of course work out of the box!

    but i had to buy now to get the free ipod deal which is basically ~£80 off if you sell the free ipod on which i will do!

    i think if you wanna buy - do it but be prepared for some issues!

    also - question: can you return apple store (online) bought products to an actual store?
     
  10. ImperialX macrumors 65816

    ImperialX

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #10
    Remember that only people with issues generally complain on these forums, and the people without issues are usually silent.

    You can check out this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375684

    Seems to me that most of the posters aren't experiencing problems with Leopard. Remember the iMac now ships with them.
     
  11. hankolerd macrumors 6502

    hankolerd

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #11
    I know a person that got a 24" iMac about 6 weeks ago, and they have not had a problem yet, another person got a 20" about 2 weeks ago, and is yet to have a problem as of two days ago....I don't think you should have to wait to get one, from what I have understood it is all software related, but maybe I am wrong. If not though, even though it maybe be annoying, you can know that apple will fix it as soon as they can, which should be within the next couple weeks...:apple:
     
  12. caliguy19 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #12
    Thank you for all the replies, I am taking in all the information.
    It is a tough decision, I do not need to buy a Mac asap.......... but I want one now, since I am tired of PC I am anxious to switch over.
    Also, even though I can get the previous iMac for less I do want the latest one in a 24" size...............love the look of it.

    Cali
     
  13. rotlex macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Location:
    PA
    #13
    Been battling this same decision for a few weeks. In the end, I bought yesterday! :D

    I couldn't wait any longer, and frankly, you have to remember, as others have said, that you are going to primarily see complaints and issues on message boards. You can drive yourself nuts "waiting" for anything, only to find some new problem crops up.

    I have faith, that even if I have a problem, it will be resolved quickly. Also, I'm HOPING that it's more like 1 in 100 or better that actually do. Example - co-worker who received his 24" just a few weeks ago LOVES it. He's heavy into video and photography, and is VERY picky when it comes to machine performance. He hasn't had a hiccup since day one, and now, he states it's running eve quicker with Leopard.
     
  14. ImperialX macrumors 65816

    ImperialX

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #14
    To be honest, there aren't as many freezing iMAcs out there as you think. People tend to complain on these forums and never mention the bright side. I anticipate your results. I'm curious about the recent iMacs and whether they freeze or not.
     
  15. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

    SpookTheHamster

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2004
    Location:
    London
  16. Chris88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #16
    LOL funny this should come up. Right now I have windows xp and it's giving me all kind of trouble hell it's a 2002. I was thinking about going with the 24" imac I have done a lot of reading and searching on this forum. What kind of problems they are having with the 24" imac? And all so how much of a problem it's going to be to add a printer and dsl router.
     
  17. ImperialX macrumors 65816

    ImperialX

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #17
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/drivers.html
     
  18. MattyP30 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    #18
    mine has shipped so should have it by the end of the week - will let you know my experiences! :)
     
  19. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

    Bengt77

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2002
    Location:
    Europe
    #19
    Perfectly running 24" iMac here. No problems whatsoever. Just jump the gun and buy it now. You won't regret it; it's a wonderful machine. I'd been waiting for a new iMac for about a year when I finally bought mine. Couldn't have been happier.
     
  20. Chris88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #20
  21. je1ani macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    #21
    freezing issues? at least you have leopard lol I was suppose to recieve it on Sunday but they don't deliver on Sundays so I assumed Monday.. nope Today nope? I'm still waiting =/
     
  22. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #22
    In general, if you have the funds to buy now, and you need a computer now, buy. If not, wait for Rev B. I've never sprung on Rev A anything, and I've never had a hardware/software issue. With all the new stuff in the AL, it might be prudent to wait if you can.

    Advantages to waiting would be:
    Issues with freezing and screens most likely addressed
    Penryn
    Better GPUs
    You'd pay the same for the above as you'd pay for lesser equipment now

    Disadvantages to waiting would be:
    You wouldn't have a new mac now, now, now
    The continual second-guessing

    :apple:
     
  23. caliguy19 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #23
    As I said I am not in need of a new computer right now, just anxious to switch over. When will Rev B iMacs be released.....next spring?

    Cali
     
  24. ImperialX macrumors 65816

    ImperialX

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #24
    Definitely next year. I would expect Rev. B to be released after March, if not later.
     
  25. czachorski macrumors 6502a

    czachorski

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #25
    Buy now. You are drawing against very good odds you will get a good one. If you are one of the unfortunate few who get a bad one, you can always exchange it. One thing is certain: if you wait, that is the only way you are guaranteed to not get a good one, because you will have nothing. ;)

    I was in the same boat, and I ordered my 24" the day Leopard was set, and mine is perfect. I was worried, and now I am thrilled. It is a great machine.
     

Share This Page