Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Hey, just need some quick-fire comments on whether or not to buy an intel iMac right now. Looking at the buyers guide, it seems that it's anyones guess as to when it might be updated again, but the one thing I can't stand is buying a mac only to have it rendered old news within 2 months. Then again, I'm not sure I could wait very long either :p

Hob

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
hob said:
...only to have it rendered old news within 2 months...

Well, it's all speculation, but I expect updates more often from Apple now that Intel is making the CPU. As ever, I'd get a new Mac when I need it. Look at whether it covers your needs and try not to worry too much about it being superseded by something slightly faster. :)

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
You're right, the idea of new iMacs coming out soon is up in the air.

On the one side you have,
History: the last 2-3 iMacs were all released rather close together, this could be Apple taking an aggressive stance to keep the consumer Mac competitive with PCs

Intel Core Duo: I have read that a new, faster core duo is due soon 2.33Ghz? (I think)

But then there haven't exactly been many rumors from AI, TS or MR or any others hinting at new iMacs.

If you need it, get it. Otherwise wait but you could be waiting for a bit, and it could be in vain.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
How bad is your current one right now?

If you can why not stick to it? At least until June*

*Intel is supposedly cutting prices in May, Asus gave a blurp about how MBs are shipping in June, it all points to some sort of consumer event in late May/early June.

saba

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
i've had my new iMac for about 2 weeks. Upgraded from a G3 iMac 600Mhz.:eek:
Im so happy. I got it through work which enabled me to get 2GB RAM & 256VRAM far cheaper!
I've pushed it thorugh everything ive got, Photoshop, MOHAA, Ghost Recon(Games all on high settings), Illustrator, Excel ,Word, Final Vinyl & it doesn't slow down.
At work i use a dual 1.8Ghz G5/2GB RAM & i'd say its the iMac is faster, hands down.

Get it!!!:)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I second Saba. I had my iMac for about 2 weeks as well. It really is a great set up for the money.
I do understand that you don´t won´t to buy and then see an update shortly after.
My GUESS is that the update won´t be significant, it´ll be a speed bump.
(What more is there to add at the moment, wings?;) )

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Mine 20" arrived last friday, I'm so happy with it. I agree with Yoak, wings are the only things missing.
I've noticed a big difference between the original 512mb RAM and the 2GB I've put in it.
Updated to 10.4.6, installed new firmware, followed bootcamp instructions and had OS X and XP running in 70 minutes.
For the things I need to do at home, this one is going to last several years (or until they will sell flying Macs :D ...)

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I've sold my old desktop - it's not bad at all (Dual 2GHz G5), but I don't want to be computerless!!

I think I'll be very happy to get an intel iMac now. The only little niggle in the back of mind is that it's a Rev. A (of sorts). But any major problems we would have heard about in the 4 months it's been out!

Cheers guys :)

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Now they have gone Intel, we should expect a lot more updates (3-5 a year at least). Both Intel and ATi nwxt month will be reducing the costs of the hardware used in the iMac next month. Apple should lower the price of the iMacs. Or keep it the same price and use a half decent GPU, x1600 is pathetic at what the iMac is priced at.

x86 world is very competitive and moves at a much faster rate than PPC platform did.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
dont worry, with my 'luck' just give me your money and i will buy one and they will relase a new one this week and then you'll know updates will be a little while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.