iMac buyers remorse

Discussion in 'iMac' started by phobos, Feb 3, 2013.

  1. phobos, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

    phobos macrumors regular

    Feb 25, 2008
    Hey guys
    Since yesterday I've been having huge buyers remorse for my new iMac purchase (ordered on the 23rd of January).
    Here's my situation.

    I have a MacPro 1,1 which is nearly updated as it can be (9GB of RAM, all four hard disk bays occupied, ATI 5770 1GB Ram). I use it professionally and it served me well for all those years.
    It definitely starts to show its age especially since I'm doing a lot of complicated work in 3d and AE and I have to do all sorts of tricks to get the speed I want out of it. Lower res previews, quick and fast renders before committing to the final one etc. But there comes a point where a deadline is near and exporting the final content takes time. Not to mention the huge productivity (and creativity) boost of having a very speedy machine while creating the content.

    Anyway to make a long story short my main problem with the machine is the slow PCI bus (ATI5770 isn't fully utilized), old CPU, lack of thunderbolt, lack of options for speedy storage connections, lack of official OSX support. OWC SSDs for example can be hardly put to good use and hardware RAID on 4 drives isn't that exciting on this particular machine.
    So I decided to take the plunge and buy a BTO iMac with everything nearly topped out. (i7 3,4GHz, 680MX, 1TB Fusion drive and 16GB of Ram from crucial for a total of 24GB + drobo 5D for a thunderbolt RAID). Right from the beginning I wasn't that excited with this machine since in benchmarks it's just x2,5 faster than a 7 year old computer and even though iMac's graphics card is capable it's still a mobile card. But I thought it's about time, so I did it.

    The remorse comes from the fact that last night I found out that a upgraded Mac Pro 1,1 with a 5365 Xeon gets nearly the same Cinebench score, as the iMac and at a fraction of the cost. And Cinema 4d is my main 3d program!
    So for basically 1/10th of the price I'm getting the same CPU performance! Granted I'm missing a lot of other stuff. For example with the iMac I'm getting x2 the GPU performance (which is important), have a RAID system which isn't insanely fast but very expandable and with dual disk redundancy, a nice big screen and all the new connection ports.

    But for some reason I think just updating the hard disks and the CPU on this Mac pro could have lasted me for 1 more year (until the new MacPros come out) and for a fraction of the cost.
    It wouldn't be exactly what I wanted but the iMac isn't exactly what I want either!

    So right now I'm struggling to justify the cost of a capable but not that exciting new computer. And especially since now I'm also thinking of upgrading the CPU of this Mac along with a few hard disks, which will raise the cost even further!

    Am I crazy here or should I just stop whining and get the new machine?
    Things are further complicated since in Greece you not only have to give a deposit (which I already did) I have no clue if they'll allow me to cancel the order since it's a BTO and it'll be harder for them to sell the machine.
    Man I've got a headache just thinking about it!!!

    What do you guys think?
  2. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

    Oct 27, 2012
    I think you should cancel, patch up the mac pro and wait for the new mac pro update. You are never going to get the life out of an imac as you would a new mac pro. It sounds like you are a serious user who needs a a serious machine, yes the imac could work for you but you are always going to have one hand tied behind your back.

    Imagine in a few years time that your gpu or cpu limited again, your screwed no updrades and have to buy a new machine, just doesn't make sense. Get down to apple and give them hurry up.
  3. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks Tri-Stan for your answer.
    I'm still a little bit hesitant. I know the iMac isn't the greatest option for me but at the same time I'm thinking that I could have a nice little setup with the two machines rendering side by side.
    If I also upgrade the processor on the Mac Pro I'll have two machines that are equal in render power which is something you want in a render situation. You don't want one machine to finish earlier than the other, and end up waiting for the slowest machine to finish.
    It'll be a nice little boost for a tiny bit more investment. So instead of having to wait for example for a 16 hour render you just have to wait for half that time.
    So basically as you might have guessed I want to have my cake and eat it as well!!
  4. radiohed macrumors regular

    Oct 17, 2007
    Portland, ME
    I agree with Tri-Stan. If you can wait for the new Pro update you will get a more upgradable and therefore longer life machine. Apple should have updated the Pro line by now. Some people need a real workhorse and the Pro fills that need. It's been a neglected part of Apple's line up.

    It's sad that they focus on iOS devices more than their computers now. I love the design of the new iMac but can't believe they put 5400rpm drives in them. :eek:

    The mini seems to be the machine to get now for the average user. I upgraded my 2010 mini by adding a 256gb SSD and created a 756gb fusion drive. It's about maxed at this point, but it's still a valid little machine for a while. :D Let's hope that Apple amazes us with the updated Pro models. They should be a huge step up from what they offer now.
  5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 3, 2009
    I agree that pretty much invariably, more CPU power us better, but as a point of clarification, NET Render for Cinema 4D reassigns frames from one machine to another if the first machine finishes rendering its set.

    Also, I saw that you guys made this, which is one of my favorite images from Maxon's site for C4D. Good work!
  6. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 25, 2008
    I'm sure it'll go like this. A month or two after I purchase the iMac a MacPro will be announced :D That's for certain!!!

    I have to agree with you radiohed. The new imacs must be one of the lousiest imacs Apple has ever produced. Not speed wise but there a lot of compromises made. 2,5" 5400 drives, ram not upgradeable on some models, really bad graphics for the low end machines, cf card behind instead of the sides, really crippled graphics performance on mac mini etc. Things that are inconceivable for 2013 products.

    They definitely seems to be iOS-ifying everything on their path.
    Let's just hope they somehow decide to change their roadmap in the future.

    12dylan34 thank you very much for your kind words! This and the moon image seem to be our most loved pieces. I even saw a couple of tributes to the moon image which is always cool to see!

    Even though it might be a bad idea I think I'll continue with the order and I guess in a few years time when it won't be as useful it could serve as a nice machine at the reception or something!!
  7. glenthompson macrumors 68000


    Apr 27, 2011
    What is the cost to upgrade the old Mac Pro? Another option would be to use the iMac until the new Mac Pro comes out and then sell the iMac and old Mac Pro. Your out of pocket expenses could be less and you get the use of the iMac in the interim. Yes, you will take a hit on the resell of the iMac but it might be less than the cost of upgrading the Mac Pro.
  8. seanm9 macrumors regular

    Dec 29, 2007
    Cape Cod, MA
    both of those are "issues" with the 21.5" model... the 27" has 3.5" 7200 RPM drives... and upgradeable ram...

    also I hear that 2.5" drives @ 5400 RPM because of the data density are as fast as their 3.5" 7200 RPM counterparts...

    they just made the damn things to thin in my opinion...
  9. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 25, 2008
    Hey Glen that might be a good idea. The resale value should be quite satisfactory and as you say I get to use a much needed fast machine.
    The upgrade for the Mac Pro isn't insanely high. 250 euro for the CPUs and 260 euro for additional hard disks. Let's say the total for the MacPro is somewhere around 550 euro. The hard disks should be cheaper though since as a freelancer I don't have to pay the 23% VAT.

    Hey seanm9. I'm aware that the 21" model has the 2,5" drives but I still think a laptop component shouldn't be in a desktop machine.
    I agree with you. Apple's addiction with thinness is worrying! Imagine how much the iPod touches could last if they didn't insist on making them as thin as possible!!
  10. bflowers macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2006
    what about trying to find an current model MacPro 5,1 used somewhere, at a reasonable price to hold you over. Then you get some speed benefits until the next comes out. Sell it and your old system to fund the 2013 model when it comes out. You would probably take less of a hit than selling the iMac later this year.
  11. LachlanH macrumors regular

    Oct 5, 2011
    I would wait until the new Mac Pro came out. You know it will be SOMETIME this year. Your current Mac Pro has lasted you this long, surely it can last another 11 months tops.

    As for the imac having 'crippled' graphics?
    Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I kinda feel the latest iMac has the most powerful graphics ever offered in an Apple All-in-one, adjusted for the time frame.

    The 2006 24" iMac had a 7300GT in it.
    Compared to what was available at the time it wasn't very good right?

    Look at it this way, the 27" iMac optioned with the 680mx has the fastest mobile graphics chip available today. Doesn't seem crippled to me, unless I am missing something. (Happy to be proven wrong)
  12. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

    Oct 27, 2012
    He ment lower end model's, the 675mx & 680mx are top card's.
  13. hacke macrumors member

    Nov 15, 2011
    Only in the 27" models, unfortunately.
  14. Fishrrman macrumors G5


    Feb 20, 2009
    "I know the iMac isn't the greatest option for me but at the same time I'm thinking that I could have a nice little setup with the two machines rendering side by side."

    Have you considered a Mini i7 2.6ghz?
    With either an SSD or a fusion drive, it would be very snappy. The buy-in price is not overwhelming and it will hold its value if you aren't happy and decide to sell it.

    From another reply:
    "I'm sure it'll go like this. A month or two after I purchase the iMac a MacPro will be announced That's for certain!!!"

    Of interest is that Apple has just announced that the MacPro is officially retired in Europe. How far behind can America be?
  15. xgman macrumors 601


    Aug 6, 2007
    I sold a 2010 mac pro 6 core maxed out, even with a usb 3 card & SSD, and bought the 27" 2012 imac in my signature. Do lost of Logic and Photoshop etc and never looked back.
  16. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 25, 2008
    Hey Fishrrman
    Unfortunately a mac mini even though is pretty sweet as a low budget rendering machine has the most horrible graphics performance. And I need that GPU performance on the 3d editors' window and on hopefully on CUDA rendering (I'm not sure if it's possible with the program I want but it's definitely a CUDA capable card). I can't even think how Zbrush, or Cinema would perform on that card.
    Xgman what you say is really encouraging. I'm glad you're enjoying your new Mac and that means I probably will too!

    I'm going to keep the 27" order and also upgrade the CPU of the mac pro.
    Now the only thing I need to figure out is how to save space on my desk!!
  17. lali macrumors regular

    Oct 14, 2007
    it would have been great to find someone with a new iMac, that has similar software usage patterns/interests as yours, and compare notes or benchmarks.

    I mainly use handbrake, and the rest is iphoto/itunes and the like. But my new iMac is the same config as yours. too bad I am not into 3d.
  18. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

    Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    IMHO - what happened in the EU is goofy, mainly (only?) due to that the Mac Pro's fans could potentially cut off some poor fool's idiotic fingers that they stupidly stuck inside a device that has warning stickers and guards… :roll eyes:

  19. mrmarts, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

    mrmarts macrumors 65816

    Feb 6, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I'am planning to update my mid 2010 iMac for better graphics more ports usb 3.0, thunderbolt. and a bigger hard drive. But from what i have heard this years model is only going have minor changes, is it worth waiting for next years model as my machine is still working fine for surfing the net, uni etc.
  20. Fishrrman macrumors G5


    Feb 20, 2009
    "The upgrade for the Mac Pro isn't insanely high. 250 euro for the CPUs and 260 euro for additional hard disks. Let's say the total for the MacPro is somewhere around 550 euro. The hard disks should be cheaper though since as a freelancer I don't have to pay the 23% VAT."

    There is some new kind of regulation in the EU pertaining to new desktop computers, that new models must undergo extensive (and essentially ridiculous) tests before intro to the market. Very expensive, so I hear.

    Apparently, Apple doesn't think it's worth the trouble to them, so they have taken a logical course of action -- they have withdrawn the MacPro from the EU market...
  21. d0nK, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

    d0nK macrumors 6502

    Nov 4, 2011
    Making it thinner at such costs to functionality is absurd.
  22. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    lmao, post of the year

Share This Page