iMac - Buyers Remorse..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MultiM, Dec 31, 2008.

1. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

So I bought an iMac 2 days ago and the guys at the Apple store are telling me it's going to take at least a week to 10 days to transfer all my data. Not because there is a lot of data, there isn't, but because of their workload. Fair enough. When I purchased the iMac, I was lead to believe (or I chose to be lead to believe) that it would just be a matter of a few hours for the transfer.

So my dilemma: The iMac was a "Want" instead of a "Need". We can afford it, but not reasonably in these times. I haven't opened the box yet and am seriously tempted to return it. Am I whiney? Yep! Do I return it? Do I move my files myself as part of the process of learning how the iMac works? I don't really want to wait a week or more...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you already knew about the updates and it's a want why did you buy it again?

3. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would keep it. Moving the files yourself shouldn't take too long. Also, it isn't very hard either.

4. MultiM thread starter macrumors 6502

MultiM

I'm not talking about updates, I'm whining about transfer of data. I bought it because I wanted it. Is there a better reson?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not my money so no.

Also, why does the Apple Store need to transfer your data?

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Does it matter if you have to transfer your data from a PC to Mac or PC to a PC? If you buy a new computer you will still have to transfer files over? Doesn't matter if you are in a networked environment or not. You can still connect your Mac to the network and transfer or you can use an external driver or a cross over cable. Either way you look at it, you will still need to transfer files over.

Do it yourself, it really isn't that hard.

7. MultiM thread starter macrumors 6502

MultiM

They don't need to, it's just easier if they do. I think I will keep it and do the transfer myself. I will likely learn a few things, so it won't be a waste. Thanks, I guess.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Curious... How hard is it to move data from one system to another? Doesn't your old system have a Ethernet port? Usually it's fairly easy to transfer data from one system to another via a x-over cable, or if both are Mac's, just use any network cable - any!

...that is, assuming your other machine isn't using LocalTalk and you're in need of a Transceiver.:D

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So easy it's worth not having your new computer?

10. MultiM thread starter macrumors 6502

MultiM

I have no idea how hard it is. I've never done it before. Otherwise, I haven't a clue what you're talking about.:confused: Don't worry about it tho, I'll be fine (?)...