iMac buying advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AndrsnH, Nov 4, 2011.

1. AndrsnH macrumors newbie

Hey, looking for some advice about which iMac best suits my needs, was looking at the current generation base 21.5" model. Currently have a 20" 2GHz 2007 aluminium iMac and a 13" 2.26GHz MacBook Pro both running 10.7.2 with maxed ram. Both of them struggle to do day to day tasks which is extremely frustrating.
    I realise that both are the base models, but it's not until this year that I started to notice the slowness of the iMac and the MacBook Pro was intended just for use while on the go. My needs don't really have anything out of the ordinary, just want to be able to watch youtube in hd, have a couple of browsers open and possibly some light casual gaming such as minecraft or sims 3.

Also I was wondering why the base model only has a configuration up to 8GB ram, and when I asked through the online store chat I was told it only has 2 ram slots.. pretty sure it has 4?

Thanks in advance for advice and thoughts.

2. darster Suspended

There are 4 ram slots. She probably meant that when you get it, there would be 2 open slots available to add RAM, since the 8 GB RAM would take up 2 slots. The base model seems sufficient for your needs, and RAM is cheap, so you can easily add more if needed.

3. AndrsnH thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought she meant, however she went on to say that the base model only has two slots while the other three have 4 RAM slots.

4. darster Suspended

I have the base 21.5" iMac. It has 4 slots. It came with 4GB of RAM, and I purchased 4 additional GB of RAM and installed myself. Definitely 4 slots.