iMac Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prg3, Dec 4, 2007.

1. prg3 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am new to this forums but i have been for a long time just watching the threads and learning new stuff.

But in the last days I have been trying to convince my father who is going to buy all new computers for his office to switch to Mac`s.

He is a lawyer and he would need like 8 base models iMac i think, and maybe 1 or 2 a little higher spec`d. Ive been doing my best job at telling all the advantages that Macs and Leopard offer and little by little I am reaching my objective. He saw in the past day both 20" and 24" iMacs and definitely loved the form factor and he is willing to learn how to use Leopard instead of Windows (in which process I would be kinda like a teacher for all the people working for him, because Mac OS X is not widely spread here in Mexico, so people arent familiar with it)

The problem is that sometimes he just asks why would i need a $1400 dlls computer (i live in Mexico so 20" Base model iMacs are very close to $1400 and higher models go up to $1600) if the most part of my job only needs the "basic" Office Suite that can be run in a $1000 PC.

So he would spent like 8 x $1400 = $10,200 PLUS 2 x $1600 = $3200
    for a total of $13,400, so it is more than the usual desktop PC prices he buys here which are priced like $1000-$1100.

So what do you guys think would be some key factors that may answer his doubts about apparently Mac`s overkill for his typical word processor, spreadsheets work?

Thanks for your answers in advance

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Look into trying to get a few of those refurb if you have a refurb store for mexico. That could save a few hundred depending on the amount of them are in the store.

Also, since it's a business, you may want to look into how downtime with PCs or viruses etc may affect work. Downtime = money lost. Macs (in my experience) have less tech problems and less downtime it seems so time is money. That's probably your biggest thing.

Not to mention, they can run windows now too, so while he's learning in the happy non-viruses mac world, he can have access to windows apps too if they are set up via bootcamp.

imacs should also last longer and have a better resale value later when he needs to upgrade years down the line, as opposed to PCs. Basically the longevity of them seems longer so it's less money per year.... and they will probably take up less space too, less towers cluttering, just the imac footprint.

Those are the big things I'd think.

3. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

let me add to this!
    resale value....that is if you keep them in good condition
    benefits of TIME MACHINE! and leopard...? boot camp?
    i think thats all you need to know...or to say to him...

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Well if he only wants to run office and surf (yes, yes i know surf is so 90s) the web then i think he should get a PC. You can get an HP or Dell for $400-$600 and it will run what your father needs. I always recommend a PC for someone who is looking for a cheap computer and wants to browse the web and use office, but if you need to do more get a mac.

5. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

As a company buyer, he should call Apple business and ask for a discount. He'll probably get 5% off at least. And, though I don't know the laws in Mexico, he can probably offset some taxes on the purchase and also write down the costs to his business. If he wants to make a good impression with clients visiting his office, Macs do have the eye-candy wow factor: they reek of "eau-de-professional"

6. prg3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for your answers!

Yeah actually all the computers can be bought to be tax deductible so that is a very good part, it is not like he just uses Office related apps all the time, but it is what most of the time he does.

I think what he willl do is buy an iMac or two to see how well they respond for his job neccesities and after that if he saw that Apple and Leopard were as good as they say they are (which i definitely think so) then he will go over to buy the rest of the computers.

The no virus part is a big issue here because a year of lets say mcaffee or norton is like 65-70 dlls a year, usually their PC tend to "live" 3 or 4 years so its like 250 dlls for antivirus, firewall, antispyware in the lifetime of the PC, so it is indeed a big advantage.

Also guys Ive been wanting a new laptop for some time, I have one of those sony vaio middle range laptops, and what i surely want is a Apple laptop, but the problem is that I`ll be travelling to the US some days after Xmas but no long enough to wait for Macworld so my question is the next:

Should i buy the middle range Macbook before Macworld or
    Should i wait after Macworld and lets say some friend of my parents or my dad himself, buy the "new" laptop Apple may offer or even the old Macbook?

what do you think its the better option?

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

MB was recently updated, so new models at MWSF are unlikely. Go for a refurb if you can get one. MBPs, though, are another story, and I would wait before MWSF to buy one of those.