iMac buying advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superatombomb, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. superatombomb macrumors member

    superatombomb

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2009
    #1
    hi,

    i plan to buy my first iMac around december. I will probably keep this iMac (the one i am going to buy) as my main desktop for three years (i am in grade 10 so i have three more years of high school) so i was wondering whether to buy the iMac at the next revision or wait until a better upgrade in 2010.

    thanks,

    P.S. this is my first post :p

    edit: errr, i dont have an imac yet. I plan to get an imac and keep it for 3 years.
     
  2. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #2
    well since you already have an iMac, I would wait as long as you can. Unless it is having problems, that is. No harm in waiting.
     
  3. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mexico
    #3
    which one are you going ot buy? 20" or 24"?
    My suggestion is going for a refurbished one, sticking with a mid model (I think is the 2.93 Ghz).
    Solid and fun machine, by the way.
     
  4. strausd macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    when i bought my MBP i was set on waiting til the next revision and was extremely glad i did because the revision included the 7 hour battery. I would look at the buyer's guide on here and if you dont need it right away, i would wait. you never wana buy something and have a better version come out right after you get it.
     
  5. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #5
    If there haven't been an update before December, wait, definitely wait for new. It's just around the corner and price cut + new innards are very likely. And you can get current gen for much better price then
     
  6. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2004
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    Link

    Is Apple (AAPL) about to unveil updated Macs?

    Research firm Wedge Partners thinks so. They assert in a note today that the company will release both new iMacs and new MacBooks “in the next several weeks.”

    Wedge sees a redesigned iMac witjh a “thinner, organic design, likely with smoothed or rounded edges. The MacBook redesign “is likely to be limited,” Wedge asserts.

    Meanwhile, the firm also expects “new, lower price points to drive demand and create a meaningful competitive threat” to coming PCs based on Windows 7 as well as to the booming netbook segment. “We believe these new designs and price points will help Apple achieve a 3 million unit quarter for Macs in [calendar] Q4.”

    AAPL today is up $1.67, or 1%, to $175.39.
     
  7. Buzz Bumble Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #7
    I don't know how true that is, but the big chain stores here in New Zealand have had computer sales and deals over the last couple of weekends which unusually have also included their Apple machines. I thought it was just that they wanted to get rid of old stock ready for Snow Leopard pre-installed models, but maybe they're also getting ready for updated models too.
     
  8. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #8
    That's just one analyst saying something. I've never trusted to those analysts because they know nothing. Before last update analyst said iMac will have quad-core etc, but it didn't.
     
  9. rangers12 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2009
    #9
    discount on imacs

    I am also looking to get a new imac- I called Apple on Monday with questions on refurbed models and was told I could get 5% off list on the new ones. Is this common or is it indicative of a potential refresh?

    Was about to buy mine today when the latest rumor hit..now I am debating waiting another couple of weeks....
     
  10. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #10
    i would wait, if you can. I waited to buy my MBP last October. I was going to either get the unibody ones, or get the "old" ones at a steep discount. You have a choice. I chose the "old" MBP, and got a $2500 machine the day before, for $1599!
     
  11. bkoehler macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #11
    I too have been on the fence to make the move to a mac for some time and last weekend decided to make the switch and buy an iMac this week. After reading the rumor of an update in a few weeks I first thought to wait, but have decided it is a better time to get it now. Any problems there are with the current iMac are known and I dont want to deal with new issues with a brand new model. Even with a reduced price and potential improved performance. So, in the next few days I will be a Mac user and looking forward to it.

    By the way this is a great forum!
     
  12. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #12
    I agree with you. Around a year ago I was ready to buy an iMac but rumors made me to wait for an update which was 6 months away. I waited, waited and waited, plenty of times I already had prev gen iMac in my shopping cart but didn't go for it. Then, on 3rd of March when the update finally came, I was disappointed. Very minor updates and prices went ~100€ up....

    My advice is to buy it when you want it
     
  13. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2009
    #13
    that is good advice..lol

    I actually am going to most likely be buying an macbook pro in oct. mid Oct. i want it so bad and have been waiting a few months now and in a months time the wait should be over.. Should be being key words
     

Share This Page