iMac buying decision help please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Diatribe, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I am on the verge of buying an iMac as a sibbling for my MBP but I cannot decide on what to do.
    It boils down to getting a 24" with the 320GB HD or a 20" with a 750GB HD.

The thing is the price difference, as I can only buy the 24" in Mexico this thing costs me a lot more. The 20" I could buy in the States and bring it over as it is the biggest size I can bring with me in an airplane.

So it is:

Option 1:
    iMac 24"
    320GB HD

$2,350

Option 2:
    iMac 20"
    750GB HD

$1,550

I would save 800 Dollars buying it in the US, but I heard the display of the 20" sucks compared to the 24" and I always wanted a 24". I just don't know whether it warrants a smaller HD and an $800 difference... any thoughts?

Btw, they do have the 20" iMacs with bigger HDs in the Apple stores, correct?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I find the screen on the 20 inch model to be very good. My only complaint is that the viewing angle (top to bottom) seems a bit narrow.

3. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

No. They change RAM in store...not HD's.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can take the 24" on an airplane. You will have to check it. Keep it in the Apple retail box. The iMac made it all the way from China in that box. Just pack the Apple box inside a larger container and buy insurance.

A lot of people think they can't ship expensive stuff as checked baggage but I used to work at a place where we shipped computers all the time. These computers had a value of maybe 10X to 25X an iMac and we didn't loose anything. it all depends on how they are packed.
    At worst the airline will charge you $50 extra. You can prevent theft by making the outer container stand out and look unique and bright.

5. mets1125 macrumors regular

If you do not want to check it in you could also send it via usps, ups or fedex. This option might cost a little more but you know you can purchase insurance and it will get there safely.

6. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

The thing is I don't really feel comfortable leaving a $1800 computer in an unlocked suitcase (has to be when travelling from the US). And even if nobody takes it, they'll probably feel the need to inspect it and who knows how it'll look afterwards. I have seen notebooks that were shipped by friends that had broken latches, scratches, etc.
    And shipping it via UPS, etc. not only costs more, but I think then I'll have to pay tax in Mexico too, which probably eats up the savings.

Are you sure? No bigger HDs in the stores? Wow, this would bring me down to $530 savings if I'd buy it in the US.

I guess if I can't get a bigger HD anyway, I might just bite the bullet and pay $530 more. Less hassles, less risks. Still kinda undecided though.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The screen on the 24" IS better - in terms of viewing angles in particular, but that doesn't mean the 20" is poor - far from it - the one I use for work is a terrific little machine and I'm more than happy with it.

Overall, though, if the 24" is an option, that's the way I'd go (size was a factor for me, hence the 20")

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes its true only RAM upgrades instore. With the iMacs supporting FW800 there isn't a big need to upgrade the drive.

9. rworne macrumors 6502

This is really good advice.

Think of what you can and can't upgrade. You can always swap in a bigger HD or more RAM any time in the future. You cannot swap out the display.