iMac Buying Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andiyar, Jul 16, 2013.

1. andiyar macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm thinking of biting the bullet at getting an iMac - work's been kind to me the past few months and I've got a nice amount squirrelled away that I think needs spending. I've been looking at the 2012 27"s with an avaricious eye for a while now and wanted a few opinions.

I'm thinking of the top end 27", with the bump to the 680MX gfx chip, as I'm thinking of installing a dual-Win7 system on the machine and dual booting to catch up on some games I've missed over the past few years. What I'm tossing up at present is to do with drives; I like the concept of a fusion drive (probably a 1TB) but I've gotten used to SSD-everything and am trying to decide if it's worth springing the extra $$ for the 512gb SSD.

Basically, I'm looking at the i5, with the upgraded 680mx, and trying to decide whether the extra cash for a 512SSD over a 1TB fusion is worth it, considering my usage would be booting a few times a week into Windows to play some games, and maybe running the bootcamp drive through Parallels for those times I don't feel like rebooting and the games aren't too demanding. Would the SSD make enough of a difference there, for a VM scenario, or not incredibly?

I'm a Starcraft II fan, and am thinking that should run delightfully natively, let alone in Windows. Would newer stuff like Bioshock Infinite have a good chance of running well - Win7/Parallels?

Anyway. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

-Andiyar

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have an SSD in my 2011 iMac, but I plan to go Fusion for my 2012/2013 model as I tend to use the same suite of applications on a daily basis so I expect almost every application I use will always be on the SSD part of the Fusion drive.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Have the Fusion drive here, and I think for the extra cash you will hardly notice the difference of going full SSD. Plus being half the size it will fill up pretty quickly.