iMac buying in store questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jordashebasics, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Jordashebasics macrumors newbie

I've been planning on buying an iMac for myself sometime in the next couple months.
    I'll probably wait till Leopard is out.

I'd like to get the 24inch at 2.4,

I'd also like to upgrade the ram to 2G.

The trick is this - I might try to get it at a store when I go home for Christmas, since there's an Apple store in Freehold, NJ.
    Are stores able to
    1 - upgrade the ram, or make the ram available to me at the same price as I can get online with the edu discount?
    2 - honor the edu discount?

I'm pretty sure they can honor the discount, but I haven't found an answer to how able to handle my ram/ram pricing request.

2. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

(I don't live in the US, but this is what I hear)

They should be able to give you the edu discount if you have all your student identification and.. stuff.

RAM is cheaper to buy at online retailers like Crucial or newegg.

RAM is also quite easy to install in iMacs, just a little screw at the side =)

3. jonnylink macrumors 6502

The answer to both is yes. however if you or someone you know can install RAM it will be much cheaper. I use crucial.com, you could probably buy from elsewhere but I personally trust them and their system for figuring out which kind of memory your computer needs is simple.

4. krose0307 macrumors newbie

I bought my iMac with a student discount in the store. They can upgrade the RAM for you in the store, and your student discount should apply though I'm not 100% sure. I would suggest giving the Apple store a call and asking. But if you are interested in saving money I would just pick up some RAM from Newegg and install it yourself. It's super easy on the iMac, you just slide it in.

5. Jordashebasics thread starter macrumors newbie

I know about installing ram, I was more curious about if the discount would still apply to the ram -
    When I build the computer online, not using the edu discount, bumping to 2G costs 150. With the edu discount, I think it's 134.
    I should probably just order ram online though.

6. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I have definitely bought RAM with an edu discount at the store (I needed it right away). Of course in the end I installed it myself anyway because they said they needed three hours to get it done and I was in a rush.