iMac buzzing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by China cat, Oct 5, 2011.

1. China cat macrumors newbie

China cat

I recently purchased a 21.5" iMac right before Lion was released. I was rearranging things in my room today and had to move my iMac. When I plugged it in it made what I can only describe as a buzzing noise. Even when I shut it down the noise was not as loud but it still continued. The noise didn't completely stop until I unplugged it from the outlet. Is this just a problem with the outlet? Or should I be worried that there's something wrong with my iMac?

2. Spike88, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As a suggestion, do a proper Shut-Down and when its 100% off, unplug its power cord and move iMac box to several different electrical outlets in the home. Try kitchen counter outlet, try living room outlet and try hallway outlet. If "buzzing" sound is only from one outlet (your bedroom outlet), then problem is with that specific outlet. If that buzzing is consistant within entire home, then odds are, it's a power supply problem with the iMac.

Good luck testing...

3. China cat thread starter macrumors newbie

China cat

Thanks for replying. Thankfully it was just that one outlet, so now I know I need to avoid that one until I can correct the problem.