iMac came with SL?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tsuchiya, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

So I was around my cousins house today where he was showing me his new iMac. It's a 21" quad core i5, brought new from the Apple Store approx 2 weeks ago. As he was showing me some apps he had downloaded, he asked me whether it was worth him buying Lion or not. Confused, I checked his OS and found that it was running 10.6.8.

Erm, so what's the best way for him to proceed? Will Apple offer him a free upgrade to Lion? Is it best to call in or lug the whole machine down to his nearest Apple Store?

2. CraigM26 macrumors newbie

If I read the Lion upgrade program correctly, he should be entitled to the free upgrade.

3. jertronic macrumors member

I purchased a 21.5 inch base model 3 weeks ago from an apple retail store. I found out after I got home and plugged in the computer that it had had the SL operating system. I was somewhat displeased.

I proceeded to the Mac up to date website and followed instructions for the free lion download. I did not receive The authorization code for 3 long days.

I am fine with the whole ordeal now. But, at the time I was somewhat hot over the inconvenience. The store obviously had a back log of older units in their inventory. Would rather have received the newer unit, but I decided against doing an outright return and exchange.