iMac camera not connected?? What gives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

My Dad has a 2006 17" iMac that is fully updated and it does have a camera built in as it should. My Dad also has a cannon all in one printer scanner copy machine hooked up to the computer. As of this moment, when I hit an application like Photo Booth or something else that uses the camera, the program says that no camera is connected.

I did a little detective work and found where someone hooked up an all in one HP device and the scanner took over the "port" that the iSight camera was supposed to be on. I don't know if this is the problem or not but it was all I could come up with. I am pretty Novice when it comes to computers and don't know how to tell what is on any port or how many ports their even are for that matter.

I really want to fix this problem but I don't know how. Does anyone have any ideas??:confused:

2. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the scanner taking up the camera's "port"--the camera built into those iMacs uses a USB interface, but it is in no way accessible to other devices, and due to lack of COM ports or any other similar identification of USB devices connected, there's no real way for that scanner to take anything away from the iSight camera. Where did you get this information?

Try this: Go to About This Mac under the Apple menu, click the "More Info" button in the window that appears, and you should get a System Profiler report about what all is attached. Select the USB item in the list at left and look through the Device Tree that you get; you should see the keyboard and mouse (unless they're bluetooth) listed, the printer/scanner, and you should also see iSight Camera or something similar listed under a separate USB High-Speed Bus heading.

If you see nothing that looks like a camera in the list, it's possible that the camera is actually broken--it does happen. Alternately, it could be a software problem (although I'd expect it to at least appear there, even if it wasn't recognized or didn't work), which, depending on what is going on, could require a full OS reinstall.

First, though, find out if it's showing up as a USB device as outlined above.

4. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Here is where I got the information. Please realize that I couldn't find anything here so I was just searching around and this problem sounded similar. I'm not saying it is correct, just similar. I consider most all of you here on this sight to be the experts. Anyway, here is the http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4246676

5. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

This is a great starting point. I will call him and walk him through this. Thanks!!

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ok, I got thrown off by "port," which you were just repeating from that thread. It's probably more accurate to just say that some HP printer drivers apparently conflict with iSights. I've heard a lot of horror stories about HP's awful printer/scanner drivers, but this is a new one.

Based on that other thread, it may well be the same issue. Checking in System Profiler to confirm the camera is recognized is still a good first step, since whatever that driver is doing the camera should still appear as a USB device in that list.

Assuming it is showing up, then the most obvious cause would be that HP driver; sounds like the test, as listed in that thread, is to remove the culprit from the Login Items list and see if that resolves it after rebooting the computer.

7. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

He just looked and the camera does not show up in the USB list......

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

In which case the chances that it just plain broke are increased, although I suppose it's theoretically possible for a software problem to prevent it from showing up there.

You could have him try uninstalling the HP software and rebooting, which should fix it if that's the problem. I'm not optimistic, though, unless someone else who's had this issue can chime in and confirm that the Mac doesn't even see the camera when it's happening.

You could also have him start up the computer from the installer disc that came with it--I believe System Profiler is one of the things available in the Utilities menu, and since there won't be any non-essential drivers installed there (or any other software issues), if it doesn't show up in the list of USB devices you can be pretty certain it's broken.

9. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Well, we took it to the Apple store yesterday and they did the exact procedure you outlined....... Do you work at the Apple store?? :) Anyway, the guy said the camera is broken. He said it would be about $180 to get it fixed. We opted not to do it and to just get an external aftermarket camera and install it on top if the imac.

I'm a little disappointed that the computer is really not that old and this happened.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate outcome, but 4-year-old computers do occasionally break. (Actually, though, that's the first time I've ever heard of an internal iSight camera going out.) The clip-on is probably the solution I'd have gone with as well (unless I could find a cheap replacement part on eBay, but if you're not technically inclined the installation is too difficult to be worth it.)

Thanks for the complement, by the way, but the similarity is just because it's the standard troubleshooting procedure for that sort of thing. I've only even been to an Apple Store three times (although this sort of thing is part of what I do at my day job).