iMac can't do this? Come on! Your advice please.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by weberstb, Sep 20, 2015.

1. weberstb macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am looking to replace my mac mini with an imac so I can edit family videos. I don't use this computer to work, just leisure. However due to video editing I need a better machine than the mac mini.

My employer has Lenovo notebooks which I currently connect when working from home with display port mini to the monitor where also the mac mini is connected. This kind of convenience I am looking for in an imac.

I read that newer models (e.g. 2013 or Retina) don't support mini display port, 2013 models only have thunderbolt. The retina can't be used at all as monitor.

So, what solution to you recommend me? Perhaps a mac book pro?
    Thanks for your kind advice.
    And in case I post this in the wrong place, my apologies.
    SW

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Thunderbolt incorporates Mini DP. Just plug the cable in, it's the same connector.

Edit: forget that, I think you're asking about using the screen on a MacbookPro as a monitor. Sorry.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You are looking to use it in target display mode, you correctly state the 5K won't do this and that the iMac will only work with other apple devices for the newer machines. If you just want to connect a second monitor to the iMac then a DP cable will work in thunderbolt as DP 1.2.

4. weberstb thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for the responses.
    so this means that I could connect another monitor to either the imac 2013 or the 5k imac, and to this other monitor I could connect the lenovo laptop? It also means there is no way to connect the Lenovo (which only has display port mini) directly to the 2013 imac that only has thunderbolt, right?

Lastly, if you would purchase an imac for the use I described, would you go for the 2013 i7 model (http://www.microspot.ch/msp/de/hardware/desktop-pc/mac-imac-27-i7-8-gb-1-tb-ssd-0001034656) or the retina 5k http://www.microspot.ch/msp/de/hard...c-27-retina-5k-i5-3.5-ghz-8gb-1tb-0000938646?
    (please briefly see the different configurations in the links). It seems to me the 2013 model would offer better specs (excluding the display of course) for the money.

Many thanks once more for your kind help.
    SW

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I don't need to see the specs for editing family videos they are both perfectly fine.

I would choose the 5K purely because the prevelance of 4K video recording on devices made from now onwards will be high, and a 5K screen is great for that you can edit one to one on pixels and still have space for all your icons in FCPX or photoshop.

Graphics wise they are much the same. The 1TB ssd on the 2013 is a bonus but the fusion on the retina will be just as fast with it's 128GB PCIe SSD for most uses.

So it's a choice between the Screens really I would want the retina but thats really up to you.

6. johnh57 macrumors regular