iMac CD drive problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iBook_Clamshell, Aug 27, 2013.

1. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

my CD drive wasn't coming out. I pushed the eject key and it sounded like something was holding it in. So I used force.:( It came out with lots of clicks and jerks. It was almost like it is jammed. I didn't try putting a disc in it, fearful about what would come back out!

2. Bear macrumors G3

If the system is still under warranty get it taken care of right away. If it's not in warranty, expect it to cost about $155 (if it hasn't gone up since last year) for Apple to replace the optical drive in an iMac.

3. iBook_Clamshell thread starter macrumors member

$115:eek:? That's way too high!!! Apple repair is nuts!!!!!!

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yeah it sucks. My 2007 iMac CD drive did similar thing. Was under warranty though. Lucky me. It sounds like the arm in the drive that ejects the disc is gone. I tried putting a disc back in and it would no longer eject it in mine. So I would suggest not trying it yourself. My other suggestion is to just get an external drive. They can be had cheap. If you have to pay Apple prices, not worth fixing.

5. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Word on the street is they fixed all these problems with the newest generation of iMacs.

6. Bear macrumors G3

I still need an optical drive, but after one issue (fortunately under warranty) with the optical drive in my iMac, I think I'd rather have an external drive anyway.