IMac cd/dvd problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 93ra15, Apr 28, 2009.

1. 93ra15 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a problem with my cd/dvd drive (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J), when i insert a blank dvd or a dvd I burned it spins it a bit and then it ejects it

If i try using a cd/dvd a friend burned in windows or mac osx it works...

Tryed resetting the pram, nvram and SMC nothing worked, i am out of warranty and realy dont know what to do..:confused::confused:

I only need the dvd drive to install windows xp and play some steam games, if somebody can provide a differet solution to install win xp i would be very happy

Thank you

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It pretty much sounds like your drive is going bad. It's not unusual for them to lose a function such as not being able to burn any discs anymore, or not being able to read CD's, but still read DVD's or some variation thereof.

The first thing you can do is blow some compressed air into the drive. Dust can cause issues like this. After that, is to reinstall your OS. If you have a backup, performa clean install. If not, then reinstall using the Archive and Install while Preserving User Data and Settings option.

If that doesn't fix it, then unfortunatly your drive is most likely going bad.

The easiest way to "fix" it is by purchasing an external one for about $120 as opposed to buying an internal for a little cheaper, but having to pay for its installation if you cannot do so yourself. Lacie sells FireWire enabled drives that allow one to boot off of (maybe Intel Macs can boot from USB optical drives, not too sure); however; I don't know if XP can be installed by an external drive on a Mac (if not even a PC).

3. RJ123 macrumors newbie

HELP PLEASE DVD/ CD issue

Hey i am having issues with my dvd/ cd Drive. I insert any cd or dvd it spins and ejects it. Ok i figured it was the drive so I tried to use my external DVD burner which i have used on my IMAC before the internal broke. The external no longer works ether. The biggest issue i think i have is some kind of glitch because any time i open a folder like desktop, applications (not sure what its called) where you see everything on your computer there is all was all ways 2 untitled disk ready to be burned. I can not remove them. I dont want to go buy a new internal drive and still have the issue of the 2 untitled folders that will not go away. PLease help me get to the bottom of this. ATTACHED picture to help explain. THanks in advance

Attached Files: