imac & cinema display connection issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fjvolk, May 18, 2018.

1. fjvolk macrumors newbie

I just replaced my macbook pro with a new imac 27" & I would like to keep using my existing LED cinema display as a second screen but I'm running into challenges with the connections. Cinema display has old(er) mini displayport cable but new imac has thunderbolt ports only. Can't seem to find simple adapter/cable. Is there a solution?

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Assuming the iMac is a current 2017 model, look for a Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. They do exist. In fact, here's one on Amazon.

3. fjvolk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a 2017 model. I was skeptical that this type of adapter existed given I asked for help at my local Apple store but they weren’t much help. They showed me a similar adapter to the one you referenced that Apple makes but said it “doesn’t support a video signal” which really confused me. Why make that adapter if it doesn’t support video...strange! Anyhow, I’ll give the amazon adapter you’ve referenced a try. Thanks again!

4. filmak macrumors 65816

This is because the Apple made Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter does not support direct video signals (like minidisplay port, DVI etc), it's ony suitable for disks and other devices. Only a Thunderbolt display, like the last one made from Apple, now discontinued, can work with this adapter.

5. fjvolk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that makes more sense to me now. I'm having to reeducate myself on all the latest interface changes as my trusty old macbook pro had to be replaced & it just worked flawlessly for 10 years so haven't really been keeping up.
    Cheers

6. fjvolk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, tried the adapter you referenced in the link from amazon. No luck...even after trying to reset the PRAM as has been suggested. Seemed to work for others, but I guess Ill try an different brand adapter.

7. fjvolk thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried a different adapter from Amazon and...success!
    UPDATE: Tried a different adapter and...success!