iMac Clicking/Cracking sound

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Omar6000, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Omar6000 macrumors newbie

There is a distinct cracking or clicking sound coming from the back of my iMac, I have the July 2010 model with 4GB RAM, and Intel Core i3 3.06GHz. I have had this computer for a year now almost exactly and the warranty runs out on the 26th of January. For some time now I have noticed that coming from the back of the iMac there is a cracking sound. I have searched the internet and found a lot of talk about a "clicking" sound coming from the back and while it occurs the spinning beachball appears. However, the sound seems to me more of a cracking sound and the beachball doesn't appear.

I leave my computer on for days on end, sometimes weeks and the screen does get a bit hot, could it just be that the screen is expanding from the heat and I'm being too careful? What really gets me is that I've also had a kernel panic this week and just today I left my computer on for an hour and when I came back no bluetooth devices would connect to my black screened iMac and I was forced to shut it down. When I turned it back on it said that it was shut down due to an error. I read up about kernel panics and healthy computers should only get them once a year if that and I'm not sure if I had another kernel panic today.

What should I do? Should I backup my data and take it into Apple or is the cracking sound nothing and the kernel panics "normal"?

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

best return and get checked out for ease of mind if nothing else. but a cracking sound seems could have a dry joint [soldered] making an arc.or something else shorting.

3. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

I had the same issue, it took a logic board and power supply to fix. After the repair my IMac failed again, they gave my a new machine at 13 months, but I had AppleCare.