iMac clicking noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ItaniumShock, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ItaniumShock macrumors newbie

So yesterday when I got home from work I noticed that my iMac started to making some unusual noise. Its on the right side of the screen where the dvd drive is at. The noise occurs every 30 seconds then it stops.

It normally occurs when the computer is idle when nothing is on running: safari, itunes. Its the Mid 2011 iMac Base model.

Can someone please tell me what the problem with this computer please? Or is the clicking noise that loud normal.

thanks

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

A clicking hard drive might be a sign that the hard drive is on it's way out. Better make a back-up.

If you still have warranty, I would take it to applecare and let them fix it.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I had a powerbook that had the clicking sound. You may also notice slow boot times. Most likely the hard drive ready to fail.

4. ItaniumShock thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I took it in today and there was so many people that they couldnt hear what was happening. So for the next 48 hours, I'll be iMac less lol. but yeah hopefully they are able to solve the problem.

On the hard drive, I barely have nothing in there other than my Microsoft Office installed and Skype. Other than that I just use the computer to surf the web and make videos from time to time which I delete.

Btw how much would Apple charged if I didn't have warranty to replace my 500gb hard drive? :D

----------

or it can be possible that it might be the fans next to the dvd drive?

5. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Doesn't sound like the hard drive to me - its on the opposite side of the mac.