iMac completely dead - power supply?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ElCani, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ElCani macrumors member

I have a 2011 27 inch iMac. I noticed that it was making a regular clicking/ticking noise (like a clock) when switched off. After ignoring it for a couple of days (during which time I turned the computer off and on two or three times) I decided to investigate. I unplugged the power cord and the noise stopped, but now that I've plugged it back in the computer won't turn on. It's completely dead.

Research makes me think the PSU had developed a fault and has now failed completely. I intend to buy a replacement and fit it myself (I've had the iMac open in the past to install an SSD) but before I do this I thought I'd see if people agree that PSU is the likely culprit and if anyone had any advice or recommendations for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem with my i7 2011, but I never heard any noises, one minute it was on , working fine, then just suddenly blank screen, no noise, no lights, nothing completely dead. tried different outlets, cables, etc. nothing. So now it just sits on the floor till I decide what to do with it. I have a 2015 27" i5 now but I still gotta get the 2011 fixed.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Power supply is the first step - and the most likely failure.

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

My 27" 2011 model died a couple of months ago, turned out it was the graphics card and not the power supply (they checked the power supply first).

I ended up having to pay about $650 for a new card and it works again. I still have issues with it freezing when I'm playing games on it. If it happens again I'm going to record it and take it in again.

5. ElCani thread starter macrumors member

Power supply arrived (eBay, £72 posted from UK to Sweden), fitted it using iFixit guide, iMac fixed. Sweet. :)