iMac Computing Power - 3D Under Parallels/Fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by platypus63, May 2, 2011.

1. platypus63 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

It's time for a new computer, my mbp is getting old, and all my work applications (adobe suite) have mac licenses.

I also need to start using a 3D CAD program for renderings and 3d model printing, that unfortunately is windows only. Just wondering if the 21" iMac (current or with the coming speed bump) is powerful enough to run a 3D application under windows while dual booted with vmWare Fusion or Parallels. I can't get the 27 incher because it won't fit my desk at work.

Thanks!

2. ZeD X macrumors regular

Yes, it is powerful enough to run 3D applications.

But they are not powerful to render it fast. It will be very slow.

An 27" iMac still not powerful enough to render (good) 3D applications on a Virtualized OS with good speeds.

3. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

If you're going to run 3D heavy applications in a VM, then consider getting Parallels desktop as it has superior 3D performance compared to VMWare Fusion (see benchmarks here http://www.mactech.com/2011/01/05/virtualization-benchmarks-07).

You'll get maximum performance running Windows natively of course via BootCamp, although I believe modern VM solutions, such as Parallels and Fusion, allow you to do both.

The graphics cards on the 2010 iMacs aren't bad, and I believe the 2011 models will be a lot better. But if 3D performance is really that critical then maybe you'd be better of with a MacPro (full desktop/tower unit), then you can choose your own size screen.

4. platypus63 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads-up on Parallels.

I probably would boot natively into windows for major renderings, but I wouldn't want to shut down OS X every time I want to check out a file, hence the dual booting. Also I should have mentioned the 3D application is Rhino/Matrix, so it is rendering stationary objects, not 3D animation.

Never considered macbook, I have a Santa Rosa MacbookPro now and it is doing fine w/ the adobe suite.

I like the all-in-oneness of an iMac, but looks like might have to make some space in my tight space for MacPro. I wish apple still made a smaller display.

Thanks

5. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

Why won't a 27" fit on your desk, do you work in the world's smallest cubicle?

6. platypus63 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha no no,

The desk unit has shelving & cabinets attached that sits pretty low, and the whole thing is custom built and mounted to the walls. So it's not a tiny room or a tiny desk, but the cabinets are too low, built before the age of modern computing.