Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexmshore

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
UK
Hi,

I am going to order a new iMac and am struggling to decide on whether its worth it to go for the M395 or just stick with the M390? Looking to see if anyone has any idea if there is much of a performance difference?

Will be used as a second machine just for general computing (email, web, iTunes, iBooks, iPhoto etc) no gaming or anything too serious. Planned configuration is 27-inch, i7, 256 Flash drive. Looking for about 4-5 years use.

Thanks for the advice.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Same configuration as I'm thinking for myself. I do however edit big RAW image files using lightroom and Photoshop!!

Still deciding as well.. not easy!!

For your needs I don't even think you need an i7. It should be great for what you need..

Reactions: The Doctor11

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Hi,

I am going to order a new iMac and am struggling to decide on whether its worth it to go for the M395 or just stick with the M390? Looking to see if anyone has any idea if there is much of a performance difference?

Will be used as a second machine just for general computing (email, web, iTunes, iBooks, iPhoto etc) no gaming or anything too serious. Planned configuration is 27-inch, i7, 256 Flash drive. Looking for about 4-5 years use.

Thanks for the advice.
If that is your usage, both the i7 and the M390 would be ridiculously overpowered. SSD is a great choice.

Reactions: nlenz

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
You would need to wait for actual real world benchmarks before having any 100% recommendation but I’d say for your usage M390 should be fine. I7 is overkill but if you have the cash to burn then have fun.

Reactions: Fl0r!an

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Same configuration as I'm thinking for myself. I do however edit big RAW image files using lightroom and Photoshop!!

Still deciding as well.. not easy!!

For your needs I don't even think you need an i7. It should be great for what you need..

If you do a lot of post processing large RAW files, you'd be far better off with the upgraded GPU. The extra 2 GB Vram makes a huge difference.

I have the 2014 iMac Retina 27", fully loaded. The m295 GPU is virtually identical to the M395 (only difference it the M395 has the capacity of up to 8 GB Vram, something Apple is not offering). I can tell you I'd love a faster GPU for heavy RAW lifting in LR.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
i thought Lightroom sort of neglects the GPU? i recall more than a couple of threads here that concluded a faster CPU was the way to go for PS and LR. anyway, glad to be wrong on this if LR has been updated to use the gpu more

If you do a lot of post processing large RAW files, you'd be far better off with the upgraded GPU. The extra 2 GB Vram makes a huge difference.

I have the 2014 iMac Retina 27", fully loaded. The m295 GPU is virtually identical to the M395 (only difference it the M395 has the capacity of up to 8 GB Vram, something Apple is not offering). I can tell you I'd love a faster GPU for heavy RAW lifting in LR.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
i thought Lightroom sort of neglects the GPU? i recall more than a couple of threads here that concluded a faster CPU was the way to go for PS and LR. anyway, glad to be wrong on this if LR has been updated to use the gpu more

Indeed, LR 6 supports GPU acceleration, a VERY welcome upgrade. It makes a huge difference when working in develop mode.

A faster processor also helps a lot. Remember, photo processors have to throw around 4x more pixels vs. the pre-Retina 27" iMacs. That's a lot of pixels.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010

It was my understanding that the most important aspect to edit in Lightroom RAW files was CPU power.. that's why im getting the i7.

GPU I thought it was more for gaming.. that's why.. I will be really tight in money if I go 395X cause I'm actually thinking in getting the 512SSD as well.

itfiend

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
As someone with a 4K monitor on my i7 PC I can safely say that introducing the GPU acceleration made an enormous difference in camera RAW.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
It was my understanding that the most important aspect to edit in Lightroom RAW files was CPU power.. that's why im getting the i7.

GPU I thought it was more for gaming.. that's why.. I will be really tight in money if I go 395X cause I'm actually thinking in getting the 512SSD as well.

This is not the case anymore with LR 6. It supports GPU's.

I was running LR 5 on my iMac Retina. It's far quicker with LR 6 and is equally as fast as Photoshop.

It's a tough choice, because it really adds to the cost. But doing post processing with hi resolution images on a high resolution screen demands a high performance computer. Better to bite the bullet, even if it means no college for the kids this year. :D

Reactions: alexxk

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
This is not the case anymore with LR 6. It supports GPU's.

I was running LR 5 on my iMac Retina. It's far quicker with LR 6 and is equally as fast as Photoshop.

It's a tough choice, because it really adds to the cost. But doing post processing with hi resolution images on a high resolution screen demands a high performance computer. Better to bite the bullet, even if it means no college for the kids this year. :D

Really got me thinking. I might wait a bit then until B&H starts receiving them. That way I will save around 250 bucks in taxes. That's a big chunk!!

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Another way to look at it: do you get paid for your work? If so, then you max it out. If not, then it's a hobby and it is your choice.

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Another way to look at it: do you get paid for your work? If so, then you max it out. If not, then it's a hobby and it is your choice.

Always try to max it out. That way next time you are sat their looking at the spinning wheel you won't be thinking if this would have happened had you upgraded further. At least you know you got the best you could at the time.
If you are going to spend that much money just go the whole whole hog.

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Always try to max it out. That way next time you are sat their looking at the spinning wheel you won't be thinking if this would have happened had you upgraded further. At least you know you got the best you could at the time.
If you are going to spend that much money just go the whole whole hog.

....Actually. In my case I have always regretted buying a lesser version. I have never regretted buying state of the art.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.