iMac Connection Problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tomegun, Oct 11, 2014.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I have an iMac 27" from 2011 and have recently experienced the following problems:
    • Ethernet will not acquire an IP address
    • I have a new Time Capsule, a few switches, a smart panel in my closet...a configuration that is more complex than the normal house
    • I have a 21" iMac in my kitchen that is also using ethernet through the same switches
    • I connected my iMac directly to my Time Capsule and it still would not acquire an IP address
    • I can successfully connect a PC (yuck) to the ethernet jack/cable that my iMac 27" uses; it worked without issue
    • I can use wifi and it will connect to the internet and I can see the shared drives on my NAS, iMac 21" and Macbook Pro
    • I cannot do screen sharing; I can do screen sharing from my Macbook Pro to my iMac 21" and from my iMac 21" to my Macbook Pro, but receive an error - Connection Failed - when I try it from my iMac 27" to either of the other two systems
    • I cannot think of an event that happened that may have caused this

I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this problem. Although I can use wifi I would like to have this particular system hard wired.

2. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

After approximately 130 views, does anyone have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Can you directly connect to the other Mac via ethernet (i.e. computer to computer)?

What are your Network settings for ethernet?

Have you tried deleting the ethernet connection in Network pref pane (probably en(0)?

Rob