Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psychobert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Middle of the UK
Slightly over 24 hours into the ownership of a new imac (2.4GHz, 20 inch) and I've got over some of the teething troubles you'd expect with a new mac after 10 years of exlclusive pc use.

The main reason I wanted a mac, (apart from getting rid of the pc and avoiding vista) is for photo/video work. I think I've found the solution to my JVC Everio not talking to the mac, (at least I've found threads telling me what to do..)

However, I have a large amount of photos and videos on an external hd which I can't get to talk to the imac. The device is one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000XSACOI/shopzilcouk-21/ref=nosim

Basically a portable hd, (from a laptop I think) with a small battery so I can backup SD cards from camera/camcorder. I need to get 60 gigs of data off it onto the mac to start editing, but when I connect it via usb, the imac doesn't recognise its got a disk attached. Its seemless plug and play with a PC, but no joy at all with the mac.

I'm as sure as I can be that the device is ok, (works fine on a laptop and pc), and i've got to get it working else there's little point in moving to mac, (I want to get rid of the pc rather than use it to burn data onto a DVD just to load it to the imac).

Any ideas?

Psychobert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Middle of the UK
Tha amazon link is the exact item I bought, although mine is branded seitec at the top - other than that, its identical. I've contacted the seller who was kind enough to refer trhe question on, (I've had rthe device working flawlessly for 3 months with a PC).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.