iMac constantly putting itself to sleep after HDD upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xkmkmlmx, Apr 13, 2011.

1. xkmkmlmx macrumors newbie

Mid 2007 iMac keeps going to sleep after HDD upgrade.

I recently upgraded my imac's hard drive to a 2tb drive from a similarly speced 1tb hard drive, both installed by me.

After installing snow leopard and getting everything back up and running, it started to crash/sleep every so often. And then it started doing it every 2 minutes. Thinking it might be a heat issue, I got temperature monitor installed. I immediately received readings that were 'off the charts'. An average reading of about 125F and some readings saying they were as high as 165F.

The iMac had been on for a few hours already, so I immediately just did a quick hand test all over the case. No more warm in any area than ever before.

Any ideas?

I have not ran a hardware test yet, but I have reset PRAM and the like. No difference.

Could it be that I didn't connect the heat thermometer back up correctly? Or that I placed it on a bad spot on the HDD?

I am going to open it up in a little while and see what is going on, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I went ahead.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

What temperature readings are you referring to? CPU? Hard drive? GPU?

If you forgot to plug a temperature sensor in, the SMC takes the safe course of action which is to run the fans full speed. However, the software might register it as an extremely high temperature.