iMac? converting DVD-RW to DVD-R

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Robby9279, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I wasn't sure what section to put this in. But I've got a video project due tomorrow that I need to do editing on tonight. The footage is currently on a DVD-RW and I was wondering if I could transfer that over to a DVD-R. (If so How?) In addition to that, will the mac support the DVD-R for editing in iMovie?

Thanks in advance,
    Robby C

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'd imagine that you could insert the DVD-RW disc and then load up Disk Utility to make an .dmg disk image and save it to your desktop. Eject the disc and then put in a blank one. Restore that image to the blank DVD and click write.

3. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

DVD-RW to DVD-R

Hey everyone,
    Currently I'm using my friend's Macbook, and have a video to edit. Now my footage is stored on the smaller dvd-rw disk, and know that I will ruin the computer by trying to load it into the computer. So I'm asking how do I get the footage off my disk in able to edit it on the computer?

Do I just convert it to a DVD-R? If so how do I do this?

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

If you have access to a computer with a disk tray instead of a slot loading drive (Mac or PC) you might be able to copy the footage to the HDD then burn it to a normal size DVD.

5. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

I do, but I'm not sure how to do that. Could you please elaborate some more?

6. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I'm assuming that the footage was shot on a DVD camcorder? If so you should be able to finalize the DVD and rip the footage to the computer using ripping software. Or depending on the way the camcorder formats the disk you may just be able to drag and drop the file to the HDD. After that you can just burn the file to a DVD.

7. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright well I have it being played as a DVD on the Mac. However, I can't edit it in iMovie... any suggestions?

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Try using HandBrake to rip the DVD to your HDD. Then you should be able to import the file into iMovie.

9. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

No problem, hopefully it works out.

11. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, do I just keep the default settings and hit start? that's what I'm doing now.

12. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

That should work.